1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Put another pot of coffee on in Mississippi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, May 13, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No worries, mate.

And you're right, long way to go.

I wonder if we're going to see any more GOP reps decide not to stand for re-election, though.

2. I think we're getting pretty late in the day for reps to be deciding that, no? Virtually all the primaries are done.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

There is a ton of time.

But what we're seeing is that the association with Bush is toxic to Republicans right now. He is politically radioactive -- even in areas like Northern Mississippi where he should be strong.

You should see some of the blatantly racist ads they ran against Childers down in Mississippi (they're up on YouTube). They were ads against Obama -- the same kind of ads Republicans will likely be launching against Obama for the general election.

If this shit doesn't work in MISSISSIPPI, it's not going to work nationally.

4. Without knowing the particulars of the candidates, though, it's tough to say that's the only reason. The guy the GOP nominated in Hastert's seat was the absolute worst candidate they could have had.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fenian's yabbering aide, there's much to consider in the loss by Greg Davis to Travis Childers.

The national Republican congressional committee did David no favors by running an abysmal and overwrought advertising campaign. All they needed to do was get the losing primary candidate, former TVA chairman Glenn McCullough, on board in the northeast part of the district where he holds great sway. Then, the national party hacks should have gotten out of the way. Instead, McCullough essentially sat on his hands – or worse, appears to have tacitly supported Childers in a east vs. west district dynamic against Davis, the mayor of East Memphis (i.e., Southaven).

McCullough is done in the party, finished. He and Christine Todd Whitman can go join the Greens, or whatever.

But Childers? He's a pro-life, pro-gun Democrat. (I have a phrase for those: closeted Republicans.) That's the only kind of Democrat that gets elected in these kinds of races ... which isn't exactly compatible with the Great Liberal Tide view of current developments.

I have a lot of trouble connecting the dots between this race and famous gun-totin' pro-lifer Barack Obama. But I suppose I would.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The craziness of this election year makes me think a lot of the conventional wisdom about which states are "swing" states may be wrong. There could be many, many, more old red that go blue, and old blue that go red.
    And if you really want a shock, take a look at Congressional fundraising at politico.com. The Dems are flush right now and the GOP is strugglin'.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

You're also forgetting that McCain isn't your average GOP bear.

No matter how Obama's camp tries to spin McCain as four more years of W, the facts tell a different story.
    Of course we are talking about a candidate - Obama - who has yet to offer real facts to the country regarding anything of substance. Screaming "Change" and "Hope" from a rooftop can only get you so far before details trip you up and it's a three story fall back to Earth from your happy place.

9. RedSmithClone

It was the same way with the mid-term elections. A solid majority of those Dems are actually conservatives with a "D" next to their names on the ballot.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Majority? Not even close. And even the more centrist of the Dems will go with the party line the vast majority of the time, because being in control and winning is something most anyone would be in board with.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Actually, that's exactly the story the voting record tells. Sure, McCain has broken rank on things like campaign finance reform, ethics and the environment. But his voting record on issues that affect people's lives on a daily basis pretty much mirrors the Bush agenda.

12. RedSmithClone

OK, let's play your game.

McCain should run an ad tomorrow saying that Barack Obama will give us all four mores years of George W. Bush, because he too wants open borders.

Draft saved Draft deleted