1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pushed by a referee; what recourse do I have?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mateo, Oct 20, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, it was rather Deion Sanders-like, wasn't it?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That, I liked.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Hey, Mateo, since you have video of this, why not post it on YouTube? Then we can see where you were, what field markings they may be, and where you were when the official made contact.
    I'm trying to figure out why he would be running over a yard out of bounds (assuming you were out of bounds) on a breakaway run down the sideline. Generally, a head linesman or line judge will step up and run just inside the field of play, because he's probably tripped over people in the past.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

For a little while, I thought that this thread was about high school football and getting pushed by a referee.

Oh well, not to completely jack the thread or anything, I think it's best to let this push/bump go.

If you call his superiors there's as good a chance they'll dream up all kinds of restrictions that you'll have to follow as there is that the ref is going to apologize to you and become your best friend. Most state associations do have rules for sideline photographers written down ... somewhere. But, at the typical small-time high school game, those exact rules aren't enforced. Come state championship time, they are. And frequently they are much more restrictive than the non-rules at the season games.

If the same ref singles you out again. Find out his name and try to deal with it on Monday or Tuesday. Arguing at the game is probably going to put you on the other side of the fence.

If a different ref tells you to move back. You're too close to the field.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

First of all, I have a question whether you should have been that close to the field. "A yard away from the field" is pretty close. Refs need some of the sidelines a lot of times to get up and down the field/court so they don't interfere with play.

I have been close with a pad, but I run backwards once a runner goes outside the hash marks. I won't write a very good story if I get an arm or a leg broken. Probably the ref should have been kinder and gentler and he shouldn't have pushed you but there is a certain amount of risk in photowork so close. If a ref gets in the way of a player during a play, the player is entitled to push the ref away to make a tackle or get a loose ball. I was a ref and if I was in the wrong position, it was my tough luck or bad positioning.

Draft saved Draft deleted