1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pushed by a referee; what recourse do I have?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mateo, Oct 20, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if you're a yard off the field, that's too close by rule and for your own safety, especially with your eye stuck in a camera. you didn't see him coming so you have no clue really what happened.

my guess is that the guy didn't "shove you," but was trying to watch the play, didn't see you until it was too late and merely ran into you or was about to run into you and and "shoved off" with his hands to avoid a worse collision. and if you were too close to the field and in the way of a ref trying to keep up with the play, you effing deserved to get yelled at. the ref shouldn't have to worry about running over a media member who's in the wrong place

as for the talk of complaining to the league, the guy's boss or the state association, on what freaking grounds? sounds to me like you were in the wrong, not the ref.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I doubt he would'nt have done it if I was a woman or if I was a student. Then, he proceeded to yell at me to get behind the numbers as he ran past me again. I yelled back, telling him I was with the press, and that he better not push me again. But I doubt he could hear. I was livid.
    [/quote]

I love, love, LOVE how people victimize themselves in their stories. I'm a guy, so I get pushed around. Guess what? I'm a woman and I've been pushed out of the way when I was too close. Waaaah. Get the fuck off the field.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Thank you. Is it really that hard to back up 2 or 3 steps to get out of the way?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If you were a yard off the field and there was a kid breaking for a big run, I'm going to guess the ref ran into you as he's chasing the play and didn't see you and -- rightly -- got upset because he's trying to keep up with the play and he ran into you and slowed him down. And as someone who has reffed a lot of games, I'd be pretty upset too because one yard off the field is too close. The minimum is two yards, and I see it all the time, people moving onto the field to get "closer." You're going to get hurt. Stay back.

5. MileHigh

In reality, yes, you should be behind the numbers. Which, properly placed and by rule, should be FIVE yards off the sideline.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Notice that Huckleberry isn't here to back up his asinine assertion that a lawsuit should be filed. Tool.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We've seen a lot of people suddenly stop posting when they get called out this week...

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Since you were taping it, take another look at the tape and see if you can determine if they guy was clearly in the wrong. If he is, send the tape to his supervisor. If he isn't, learn and move on.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just ran into you. I used to shoot on the sidelines and it happened a lot. In that situation you need to be aware of where you are and give him more than a yard.

Then again, some refs are just assholes. I once had a ref tell me the league rules stated I was not allowed between the 20 yard lines. I told him politely that he was wrong. He told me that if he saw me between the 20 yard he would penalize "my" team. (The teams were both on the edge of our viewing area -- I hadn't seen either team play before.) The head coach actually came up and said "don't worry about the penalty -- do what you have to do." Thought that was remarkably classy.

9. I prefer that to the "I'll keep posting as though I'm right" method.

10. MileHigh

It was mentioned he was watching the game through the viewfinder and focusing on the player. So he couldn't see the entire field or see what was going on. The ref ran into him because he was too close to the field. Take five steps back and move on.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And if the play is close to him he will have widened out the view, giving some indication of where he is. Obviously, there may be no way to tell.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK, the push was unfortunate (I've yet to hear that you were injured or mentally scarred for life), but the officials need room to do their job. Not all the officials are highly competent, but most of them are nice guys.

Let it go. Better yet, after the push, simply ask the official where you can and cannot go. Most officials - many of us have had to deal with some exceptions - understand that you have a job to do, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted