1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose of Salary History?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Jul 3, 2009.

1. I was once a finalist for a job in a major league city and on a major league beat. The sports editor kept asking me what I wanted for a salary and I kept politely replying that I thought this was a discussion to have when he decided I was his top choice. I didn't get the job, so I guess I botched that negotiation, but it turns out I would have taken about a 35-40 percent cut in salary to go there. These days, I just shrug and give in to requests that I toss out the first number in salary discussions.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, at some point you have to do your research on costs and come up with a number. If you can make it on, say, $35,000, why on earth would they offer $40,000? Especially if there is more than one person who is a strong candidate.

It's like a GM negotiating with potential draft picks.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It wasn't even that, because frankly I didn't even know what *they* were making.

The way I got to that number is that I just added up in my head what I thought my monthly bills would be. Then added in a bunch of extra padding, because I had no idea how much money would be taken out of my base salary in taxes.

I knew coming in that journalists made a pittance. I just somehow thought high-30s in Podunk WAS a pittance. I mean, I had no idea.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I have gotten freelance offers that way lately, both over the phone and via e-mail. They tell you what they need, get pretty specific about the assignment and then want you to say yes or no. But they still haven't mentioned what it pays. Is it really so hard to say or type, "And we're paying $XXX for this"? If you can put topic, word count and deadline in the e-mail, you surely can put the pay rate, too. It's as if, even for the piddly stuff, they want you to lowball yourself. Or at least take extra steps to pin it down.

5. duckncover

duckncover Member

I once had a negotiation (which I'm terrible at) about salary for a job across country. Before we went to the hassle of meeting in person, I got a ballpark. After the interview (not great) and days spent traveling the offer was considerably lower (like $10,000 lower than the ballpark). Sometime you can't win, but I swear I was hoodwinked. I actually scoffed when the offer came, and said it wasn't enough. Then they called and said the job offer was rescinded. Strange, strange situation.

Then there's the whole thing about how every question seemed posed by a former boss who didn't get along with me, and who got along with very few people she employed. Sigh. Don't look back.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That sounds like a pre-employment version of "You can't quit! You're fired!"

Draft saved Draft deleted