1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose of Salary History?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Jul 3, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have recently applied for jobs asking salary history and didn't give it. I don't feel like I can give an accurate representation considering I have freelanced full-time for the last four years, at widely varying annual rates. Last year was outstanding, and for the jobs I'm applying for I wouldn't expect a salary equal or better than that. This year, on other hand, is horrible so far and I wouldn't want it for a salary in my next job. So in short, I'm not listing all that on an application. But if someone wants to talk about it in an interview, fine.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Suggest one of two things:

1. Say salary is negotiable.

2. Give them a range of what you have earned over the last 5-10 years. 40-50K or whatever.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Have you gotten interviews for those jobs for which you didn't include a salary history, or, at least, a range that would be acceptable to you?

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Amen to that.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes and no, so who knows whether my lack of salary history disclosure made a difference. I'm just not a fan of the request.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I agree with pretty much said here, and the only side point is this: A reason to mention salary fairly early is so you don't go through a whole process and then find out that you're so far apart on expectations that there's no possible way you'll be hired, or take the job.

A long time ago, I spent almost a month going through a process for a job I thought I really wanted, and they really wanted me for. Then we finally got to money, and it was LESS than I was already making. We could have saved each other a lot of time.

To me, the best of an awkward situation is letting them know what you're making, at this job and right now, fairly early in the process. That doesn't preclude you a lot of wiggle room at offer time -- "Yeah, I'm making this now, but I've decided I couldn't possibly move for less than this" -- and lets them know whether there's even any point in moving along.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The bluntest exchange I had was with Ed Storin, and those who know him will understand. He looked at my salary history and said, "How come they raised you only X?" I told him it was a union shop that didn't do much in the way of merit pay, you got the negotiated increase for the most part and they were without a contract at the time. He said, "OK, I was trying to see if there was a problem with them liking your work."

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I think we're actually dealing with two different things here. There are places that ask for "salary history" and those that ask for "salary requirements." Salary history, I think, is just used to get an idea of what you might be willing to accept. Maybe at some places, a way to lowball you.

"Salary requirements" is probably a way to eliminate people who are way out of the ballpark.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Problem is, I've seen job ads specify that salary requirements or histories must be included for an application to be given any consideration. When it's not that restrictive, I generally write something to the effect of "I am happy to discuss salary if I'm being seriously considered for the position."

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's true and if the employer wants to bring up the topic right away, that's fine. I'll be honest. But I am normally not the one to bring it up.

I actually had one guy a few years ago make me an offer over the phone without EVER mentioning salary. I felt a little awkward, but had to ask --- diplomatically, of course --- before accepting the offer. FYI, the offer was quite reasonable and I did accept the job. It was just sort of funny the way it played out.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

When I was coming out of college, I didn't know any better. Showed up for my first job interview and they handed me an application on the spot. There was a line for "expected salary." Again, not knowing anything about the world and how much shit costs, I quickly did some math in my head.

Ended up writing down a number that, in retrospect, was laughably high. It might have been high-30s for a first job in Podunk. Again, did not know any better.

Never even got so much as a callback.

Ended up getting a different job, and wound up crossing paths with the SE I'd interviewed with again. He says, "Man, we loved you. I just wish we weren't so cheap and could have paid what you were asking."

It worked out, because the job I wound up getting was better than the job I didn't get. But still ... me being too young and naive to know what the "going rate" was pretty much sunk my chances at a job.

Shoulda just left it blank. Or written "negotiable."

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Your mistake was basing your salary on what everyone else from your graduating class was getting in other professions.

Draft saved Draft deleted