1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purple Hearts for mental health?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a nasty issue, for sure.

But this admin's blanket reluctance/refusal to address post-service care issues re the hosts of fighting men mindfucked by Fredo's Grand Middle-Eastern Adventure
    is shameful and pathetic.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It is a noteworthy change that the same condition that once got soldiers labeled as cowards might now earn them medals.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No.

If the government wants to do something meaningful and restorative, it can start by raising pensions.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

To be fair, I ran into the same military reluctance to address or acknowledge mental health issues in 1997-98, and Bush was NOT in power at the time.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

AMEN brother!

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I, too, would have a problem. It's hard to define, but the 'Heart should be awarded for quantifiable wounds or death.
    I'm not saying mental diagnosis aren't quantifiable -- certainly not, just not as easily set to parameters.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Have neither PTSD, nor a Purple Heart, so take my opinion for what it's worth. Probably not, considering the history of how the medal is currently awarded and the number that has been awarded in the past.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Since I value your opinion on this...how would you feel if you were awarded one for PTSD?

9. Herbert Anchovy

http://formerspook.blogspot.com/2008/02/not-what-wed-call-pension-reform.html

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, sorry, but I'm going to disagree with that one. I certainly agree Guardsmen and reservists deserve reform in their pension plan, but not at the expense of active duty forces, nor through a change in eligibility rules for active duty forces.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To be fair, our nation's treatment of veterans (combat and service) has always been utterly disgraceful.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Herbert Anchovy

Alley, I'm not down with it either.

I should have added a remark with that link (doing several things at once here). I've heard reservists -- one an ex-gf -- complain that they're entitled to more than what they've actually earned. It muddles the issue at large.

Draft saved Draft deleted