1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puppy help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Nov 17, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Purina One is the shizzle.. first ingredient is meat, can't go wrong...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

As long as he is eating. And I'll back what the others said. Stick to the schedule. Not all dogs, but most will eat themselves sick if you let them. I learned that lesson well growing up with Dachshunds, who are notorious for having weight problems.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

One of my running routes takes me to a park that's surrounded by a wooded area. I let my dog go at the park often and run around the field like a track (it's about a quarter-mile) while she lopes around chasing critters.

Well, that may have to stop. She came out of the woods Friday with her foot bleeding profusely. She stepped on something sharp, evidently. Cost me $225 at the vet to have stitches put in and now she's walking around in a little doggy cast-looking wrap ntil the stitches come out.

I forgot what it feels like to run without holding a leash. I'll find out today. She'll not be happy when I take off without her.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So sorry to hear that, Brian. :( I'm glad you got the little girl all fixed up.

As I posted on FB, the good news is that I found out he likes squeaky stuffed animals. The bad news is that he likes squeaky stuffed animals. So when he goes in the crate at night, he gets the rope toy I got him that has a stuffed animal head and feet, so he has ONE toy he likes, but nothing that will keep me (and him) up all night.

He's biting less, because he likes the new chew toys. And he's learning "no" except when it comes to chewing on the leash. He is oddly starting to pee MORE in the house. Less in total, but more times. Like I'll take him out, he'll pee, and 45 minutes later he just pees a few drops in the middle of the living room. Like "You think you can stop me from going in here??"

Any suggestions on that?

That being said, we went to bed at 11 last night. Woke up at 4, took him out, back to bed at 5 (with him in the crate) until about 8:15, then back to bed at 10:30 (left him out this time, and he slept on my clothes next to the bed) and slept until 1 p.m. So I FINALLY caught up on some sleep, and he was very good throughout.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My Lab had terrible ear problems for the first couple years of her life; her vet suggested we switch foods (she had been on Pedigree, which her breeder used) and told us about something called Taste of the Wild...the main ingredients are salmon and sweet potatoes, and more importantly, it's grain-free. Expensive as hell, though.

Now, Mocha eats better than we do, twice a day, and twice a day she has fantastic poops that would make Najeh Davenport blush.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/dogs/dry_food/pacific_stream_canine_formula/

[​IMG]

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

IJAG, you have much more patience than me.

But this thread is worthless without a picture of the little fucker.

7. imjustagirl

Um, there's one in the first post. :D

Here are a couple more, taken this morning:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/380998_10150945171960632_897745631_21423465_922987598_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/387441_10150945169480632_897745631_21423458_1443980368_n.jpg

That last one shows his size, if you're familiar with the water fountains for cats.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cute little guy. Not sure what else you can do with the pee problem. Maybe take him out even more often and be very consistent with the rewarding of going outside and correcting him when he goes in the wrong place. You are sticking his nose right up to the pee and correcting him when he does it inside, right?

How are he and the cat getting along?

9. imjustagirl

I'm torn on the putting his nose in it. Everything I've seen and the people (trainers) i"ve talked to said negative reinforcement is bad. But who knows if that's just the "trophies for everyone!" mindset.

Cats and he are OK. He plays a little tougher than they do, so there's that. He and my bengal (the youngest at 3) are getting along ok,b ut he still gets nippy with her. morris (pictured above) kind of just avoids him. Layla (who's 9) is actually the only one who hisses at him when he comes scampering at her.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have a German short-hair pointer. I feed her Naturally Wild.

11. imjustagirl

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382243_10150947254545632_897745631_21436036_1417904765_n.jpg

Took that one just about 10 minutes ago, before he got his last outside trip of the night. He's happily munching on his poopy treat right now :D

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He'll grow out of the dribble thing... but you can only jump him for it in like the first minute -- or it's forgotten and he won't know why you're yelling.
    As for chewing on the leash, it will happen. he's trying to exercise some control. Jack chewed through five leashes -- yes five -- before he quit. The folks at Flexi leash kept sending replacements once I sent photos and the old leashes.
    He still has the sixth; he'll chew on walks to show off or show who is in charge, but when I tell him to "give" a couple times, he'll drop it. He'll do the same, but you have to train him He's still a puppy, cut him some slack.

Draft saved Draft deleted