1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puppy help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Nov 17, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm putting the cat food up on a box. I don't have much counter space, so that's not an option.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What we view as small portion is not that to a dog. Specially with the higher quality foods available today.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The cat food issue is an easy one. Put it on a washer or dryer or some place where the cats can climb to get it, but the puppy can't.

I wouldn't worry too much about the puppy getting fat.

4. imjustagirl

Yeah, that's why I hate this Science Diet stuff. Its first ingredient is corn, and I was told to get something with a protein first. :(

But it came from the vet, so it's got to be good, right?

Mizzou: My laundry room is off the kitchen and I keep the door closed so the cats (and now the puppy) don't climb all up behind it where I can't reach them. I just put it on a box in the kitchen. It works. So far. :D And volunteering at the Humane Society, I've seen so many dogs come in who are twice the size they should be because their owners overfeed them. I don't want that for him.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm glad I don't have your problem. My dog might go all day without eating, and then eat two portions in the evening. I'll give her scraps for a treat but when she's told to "crate up" while we're eating, she leaves the dining room (although not all the way to the crate...the dog understands context).

We feed her Science Diet and I've had no problem with it. I keep a case of grocery store-level canned food and she gets a can every other day. She loves canned food. With that diet, she has no problem running a 10k with me, she's lean, energetic, sharp, all that.

6. imjustagirl

Yeah, my puppy wouldn't touch the dry food I bought, so I had also gotten some canned food (which he was eating at the shelter). i mixed in the dry with the canned and he ate some of that Wednesday night, but had no interest in it Thursday morning. I'll stick with the Science Diet as long as he'll eat it. :D

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know a lot has changed since 1996 when I got my dog, but from a feeding standpoint, I started with canned food, then gradually mixed it with dry food and went to dry food when he was a little over a year old. Again, that was only for a few months because he was older when I got him.

8. imjustagirl

Well, he's eating this dry food, and it's better for his teeth. So I'll go with it. :D

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Science Diet is crap. Vets get a kick back for recommending it.

Look at Bil Jac first. 2/3 is real chicken and it's what I feed my baby boy.

Other options are Blue, Wellness, or something like that. But get away from the corn.

This time is the most important time in his development. You can finish the bag you have, but don't get it again.

10. KG

KG Active Member

I love using Blue, I just can't afford it with my big dogs.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I hear ya with the cost. My buddy boy eats through a 30-pound bag of Bil-Jac in about a month or so, and it's $50 a bag. But his health is worth it.

12. imjustagirl

Well, it was free. So that wins.

I have Purina One Healthy Puppy from the vet. It has lamb as the first ingredient.

Draft saved Draft deleted