1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puppy help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Slap you just don't strike me as a slipper kind of guy.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oddly enough for a thread about fixing bad behavior in a puppy, this thread is making me miss having a dog.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have one you can borrow for, oh, about nine months!

4. imjustagirl

Winston, Day 3:

I stayed awake too late, and he whined a LOT, but thankfully I was up because we had a very businesslike trip outside at 2:15 a.m. He woke me again at 7, and out we went. He peed. Came inside, I fed him, 30 minutes later outside to poop.

AND HE CLIMBED THE SIX STAIRS TO MY DECK!

I'm like a proud mama!

5. outofplace

Ha. Wish I could, even with the biting. Damn allergies got worse over time and I just can't have one in the house. Worst of it is labs are one of my favorite breeds (No. 2 after Dachshunds, which we always had when I was a kid), but I react horribly to them. Within 5 minutes, my nose is running faster than Mike Wallace and I'm sneezing like crazy.

Just ain't fair, dammit!

6. imjustagirl

To be fair, that's not really all that fast. :D

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

It will take time, you just have to be patient. I have a pomeranian(don't ask, lol) and he was the same way when we got him. He chewed everything, and he bit us quite often(not to hard though). We showed dominance when he did, usually by laying him on his back and telling him to stop with a mean tone to show that we mean business. After a month he was already showing signs of improvement.

Hang in here there. It will be worth it.

8. imjustagirl

I just tried putting him on his back. His legs are so stumpy I couldn't get them far enough apart and he bit me WHILE I WAS SCOLDING HIM FOR BITING ME.

He's a stubborn little thing. :D

9. outofplace

And there I was putting in a Steelers reference just for you. ;D

Just wait. The Browns still have to deal with him twice this season. :)

Keep at it. He'll come around. I was just doing some reading about puppy training and found a couple that advise against any kind of hitting, saying that pups don't understand what you are doing and it just causes more problems later. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but it's one school of thought.

10. imjustagirl

Yeah, a lot of what I read said no physical negative reinforcement, but I just chalked that up to the wussification of America saying we can't spank our kids. :D

We've had a disastrous development. He just launched himself of the couch, so my safe haven of being able to put him up there and walk away for a few minutes is gone.

P.S. I thought you meant Mike Wallace, the NASCAR driver. :D :D :D

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you don't have one, you really need to buy a crate to properly train and control your puppy.
    The biggest mistake new dog owners make is leaving puppies to their own devises.

Some will say putting a puppy in a crate is cruel. It's not. The dog will see it as their den and safe haven.

It's also the fastest way to house break dog.

12. imjustagirl

I have a crate. He's actually been really good in it. I don't think they say not to put a happy puppy in it. They say not to use it as punishment, which I don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted