1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

puppy dog problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Nov 30, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

my 11-month-old pooch has started crapping in his cage at night after seeming to be trained for the last 5-6 months. i always thought dogs wouldn't do their business in the same place that they sleep but apparently he hasn't heard of this philosophy. i generally don't feed him past 6 p.m., 7 p.m. at the latest, and he goes outside about an hour after he eats and then again about 11 p.m.-ish before being put in his cage.

any ideas?

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Why do you keep him/her in the cage at night?

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Couple of ideas ...

* Try feeding him in smaller amounts, 2-3 times a day.
    * Is the kennel maybe a little bigger and gives too much room to find to poop? Block off some space so there's just enough room to lay down.
    * He might be telling you he doesn't want to be in the cage for as long each night. At 11 months, he might be OK to spend a night at the foot of your bed.

4. KG

KG Active Member

This won't help you, but I thought I'd share it here.

Since I've had her on a routine, my puppy doesn't potty in her cage at all anymore. Because of the hectic holiday weekend, her schedule has been very messed up. She ended up going to bed within an hour of eating, because I had to go to work. I'd taken her outside first, but apparently she needed to go later. When I got home, she'd pooped in her cage, but had the wit and knowledge to push the (then poopy) tray that lines the bottom of her cage out the little slot on the bottom that is made for its removal. I couldn't help but laugh.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can she help train my niece?

6. txsportsscribe

the cage is like his dog house. he'd normally go there on his own to chill or sleep and it's where he stays when i'm not here. he spends the day outside his cage when i'm here. and from past family experience, dogs seemed to like the comfort of having their "own place." i'd heard about the "too big a cage" theory but this one seems like a perfect fit for him. and i usually feed him twice a day - in the morning after he's been outside and again at about 5 p.m. the only thing i can think of is that since it's turned a little cooler, he doesn't get as much outside play time at the dog park or the lake.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Your dog is gay, and it's Obama's fault.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ouch.

10. txsportsscribe

my dog hates you

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

That's what the dog said, too.

I KEED, I KEED!