1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punching someone in a Nazi uniform is a bias crime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 4, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Outstanding point. You do not have the "right" to do it, but you have the ability. And if the consequences don't deter you there really isn't anything holding you back. Cost-benefit analysis...does the cost of jacking some idiot that deserves it outweigh the benefit?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What special protections do gays have?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They don't have to get trapped in a bad marriage.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about bias crimes is that don't just leave the physically injured victims, but anyone who feels threatened by the act itself. Especially if the intent of the initial offense is to "send a message" to all members of that group.
    The thing about the "Nazis being protected" is that most groups that are covered under bias crimes are groups that people don't make "a choice" of being involved in: race, gender, sexuality, faith, etc.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Is there any group that is NOT protected?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is it a bias crime to punch someone in a Maryland uniform?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"Hate crimes" are essentially a way of punishing thought. I'm not a fan. A crime is a crime. Why is it worse to murder someone because of their race than it is to murder someone because they wear to wrong color in the wrong neighborhood? Who cares what the motive is if the result is the same?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hell no. If anything, with those uniforms, they'd be doing the world a favor.

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

So much about the Blues Brothers makes sense to me.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thinking behind bias crimes is that they are in effect, crimes against an entire group of people. A cross burned on a black family's lawn doesn't just impact the family who lives there, but all black people, going out and beating up a gay man because he is gay impacts all gays who live in the area, etc. etc.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's correct, and a good point.

This is going to sound as if I'm against freedom of expression, but...Nazism does not deserve protection, in any form. History has pretty much proven that.

And, nowadays, Nazism seems more of a deliberate provocation than an ideology or anything else. Those who espouse it know that. That's why they do it. Sometimes, I see these ridiculous, purposely public shows of supposed hate, and can't believe the individual person actually really feels as deeply as all that, and I doubt that they do.

It's an intentional grab for attention and the limelight, and a promotion of something this guy probably barely even understands, not a belief system or an inherent trait about which nothing can be done. Therefore, there is no need for protection, and there shouldn't be any.

Just as the guy who punches out a Nazi can do what he does if he doesn't care about the consequences, so, too, does the guy who wears a swastica in public.

Draft saved Draft deleted