1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Punch A.J."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jul 4, 2006.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

So, even your own organization thinks you're an arsehole?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060703&content_id=1537170&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp

2. 85bears

85bears Member

If Pierzynski played for the sacred Red Sox or Yankees, all the talk would be about he's a "character" and desperately needed in baseball, as well as being a big-time "gamer."

But in the U.S. baseball media, players who play in the heartland are supposed to know their place and not be too uppity. They are especially NOT supposed to win World Series.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm in the heartland, and I think the guy's a total prick.

Anyone else who acts like him is a total prick, too.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

It's the thing to do to hate A.J., so the journalist groupthink is in full force here.

And of course all his bad qualities would become great characteristics if he was on the Yankees or Red Sox.

I'm just curious: What exactly makes him so hated? You've got players blatantly cheating, beating their wives/girlfriends, etc., but because Pierzynski has an attitude, he's MLB's biggest prick? Back to my original point, it's just easier to pile on than put anything into context.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Why is A.J. the biggest prick in baseball? You could ask the trainer for the Oakland A's, for starters.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Look, I certainly don't want to get into defending any professional athlete. I'm sure most are pricks in their own special way. I'm just saying that the "I hate A.J." bandwagon is getting out of hand.

Anyway, it's a holiday, no need to waste anymore time arguing about this.

Enjoy the Fourth everyone, I'm off to eat, drink and hopefully be merry.

7. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Why would anyone ask the Oakland A's trainer about Pierzynski?

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I might get this a little wrong, but if memory serves, the story begins when A.J. somehow took a ball in the nuts.

Trainer comes out and asks him how he feels.

A.J. knees said unsuspecting trainer in his cupless balls says, "Like that."

9. markvid

markvid Guest

My point in the original post, Pallister, is that you have a problem when the same people writing your paycheck are marketing you as a thug.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

What he said. Dude was a prick in Minnesota and San Francisco, too. That rep wasn't earned with one incident.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

No way that happened on a major league field.

12. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

What does that uncomfirmed story have to do with the Oakland A's trainer?

Draft saved Draft deleted