1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulled over on the way home from work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 30, 2007.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Most? I didn't know there was one. They're wasting their time writing that ticket.

Damn, BBAM, you should be a state trooper.

Here:
    [​IMG]

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm not saying everyone doing 3 over should get a ticket, but if you do, don't complain about it. I do 5-10 over regularly ... I have little tricks, many that have been mentioned here, to avoid even having a cop pull me over. ... If I do get a ticket, I won't be happy about it, but I'm not going to say the cop's a dick for it. He's doing his job, I was speeding.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

My favorite trick is the special cloaking device standard in all GM vehicles.

4. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

We already knew the trick about being one of the slowest cars on the road.

Seriously, at 5-10 over you think you need secret tricks to avoid a traffic stop? What state do you live in? I can't imagine the cops would even notice someone "breaking the law" by that many MPH.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I've been ticketed for 10 over in Illinois. Grew up in a town of 15,000. The county sheriffs don't dick around.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Best story I have is about 10 years ago, was driving through an area where the posted speeds drop about 10 MPH. It was roughly 1-2 AM. I was doing 47 in a 45 ... I looked because the town was notorious for enforcing speed traps one week and letting anyone fly through there the next.

Cop pulls me over, gives me the "I saw you swerve twice" crap. He was being antagonistic, and even a drunk idiot could probably tell. When he first approaches my vehicle, he looks over my car - a 1991 Geo Storm GSi - as if I were making a nice little narcotic run. He then asks me if I had been drinking.

His tone was so snarky, I answer "yup. Sprite." Sloooowly pull the bottle out from behind the front passenger seat (convenient little spots in two-door coupes where the back seat is little more than a way for the Japanese to avoid sports car tariffs at the dock). I then tell him I'll take whatever test he has for me.

At this point, the punk realizes I'm telling nothing but the truth, gives my car the once-over again to see if he can find secret stash compartments and grudgingly tells me to have a nice night. Oh yeah ... it was the last day of the month and a city cop. Think he was woefully short on his quota? Uh, yeah ... the moment I get back out on the highway, he and another buddy in another cruiser have another unsuspecting victim pulled over.

I got pulled on the way back from a football game only a few weeks ago, but that was because the cop had messed up, was trying to get the guy flying on his radar and assumed it was I because I had the sports coupe again. It's not red, gang ... I promise.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Two other stories I have about being pulled over.

- It's night time, I'm driving through town on my way to the office. Cop car pulls me over and since its nighttime I stop under a street light so he can see into the car better. He asks me if I realize that I was going 45 in 35. I said "no sir, the light on my dashboard isn't working right" (I was in that '74 Gremlin at the time). He looks in and says "I can see your dashboard fine" and I respond "that's because I'm under a street light". He had a bit of an attitude but let me go with a warning (maybe that Gremlin was a good thing, cops always took pity on me in it and always let me go with a warning)

- Early on a Saturday morning I'm driving to a football game, I just pass through a small town on my way to that town's football game against one of their big rivals. Cop pulls me over about 10-15 yards before a speed limit sign showing the speed limit goes up. He asks if I realize what the speed limit was. I say the number on the sign. He says that's the speed limit out here, but back in town its slower. Asks me where I'm going, I tell him I'm on my way to cover the football game. Brief conversation on how the team is doing and then lets me go with a warning telling me to drive slower next time I pass through town.

8. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I've never been pulled over to or from work or covering games, but I have had a couple close ones (i.e. 80 in a 55 while passing the state trooper cherry-pickin' the fast lane).

The one that set me off wasn't speeding, but it was just as blasphemous as half of these stories. About six months back when I was driving with some family members to meet my sister for her graduation. I went to pass this big-ass SUV that slowed to a stop at the light, which was green, and then put on its left turn signal before starting to turn left. As such, I begin to go around the person - it was a one-lane road, but it had one of those shoulders that was big enough to pass someone turning (and I've seen it been done before) - before the SUV decides "Hey, you know what? I don't think I want to turn left here," swerves back into my lane and nearly drives me off the road into the guardrail.

I hit my horn close to 10 times in morse code fashion to let the person know I didn't appreciate nearly driving through the metal rail and into the top of the 7-Eleven because they didn't know where they were going and, surely enough, a BIKE COP pulls me over. How infuriating. The dude asks me what I was doing before explaining what I just typed here then disputes the story, to which caused my cousin in the front seat to scream at the guy.

He comes back after taking my stuff and gives me a written warning. Thank God, I didn't figure the guy would be so stupid. But wait, what was that? He wrote me down for making an illegal right turn in slick conditions - not to mention it was in June and at least 85 degrees and sunny. It pissed me off to no end because you could tell the guy had no knowledge of the driving laws.

Best part was, the parentals were trailing me and went the wrong way on a one-way street to try to distract the jerkoff. Didn't work, unfortunately.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Just because other morons use the shoulder to pass people, doesn't mean it's right.
    Clearly it's not an illegal right turn. However, it is improper lane usage.

Draft saved Draft deleted