1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulled over on the way home from work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 30, 2007.

1. joe

joe Active Member

What, it's been an hour and nobody has said it? To answer, ask Dick Cheney. And John Kerry, for that matter.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

The only time I've ever talked my way out of a ticket was because of work.

I was right out of college, went and interviewed at a newspaper and got hired on the spot. I was so excited that night I decided to drive my girlfriend past the building to show her where I would be working.
    So I show her the building and I'm talking a mile a minute, come to a red light and right turn right in front of a cop. He immediately flashes his lights and I pull over. When he comes to my window, I'm still talking a mile a minute "Golly, gee, officer, I'm sorry. I just got my first job at the newspaper and I was just showing my girlfriend ... yada, yada, yada." I felt like a dumbass, but the officer just kinda laughed told me to be careful and let me off. Overall, a pretty good day.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Went out

Got real drunk

Cop pulls me over

I am 4 blocks from my apartment

Cop asks me where I am going

(If I tell him home, I get out of it)

"On my way to a party"

Awww......shit dude[cartman]

Cop messes up on ticket

Got out of it

whoooooooooo

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I got no sympathy for anyone getting a ticket when they were speeding, whether it's two or 22 over.
    73 in a 70, you're speeding. You don't get to complain.

Disclaimer: The 26 in a 25 is a bit picky. If your speedometer is an inch to the right or left of center, it may look like you're going faster than you actually are. One over is nit pickin'.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

BIT PICKY?

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Speed limit is 70. You're going 73. You're breaking the law. You get a ticket.

7. Lord, you must be a blast at parties.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

One of the complaints was about 73 in a 70. You broke the law and got caught. YOu don't get to say it's crap.

9. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

We're all saying it's crap, because it's downright anal. Cops look for the 15-20 mph over and that's logical. I don't know where you drive BBAM, but you can't expect every car doing 68 in a 65 or 73 in a 70 to be pulled over. There aren't .1% of the officers necessary for something like that.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I had my license suspended before I even got out of high school, then had it taken for a year when I was 24. So I was without a license for two complete years in the first eight years I was legal to drive.

The second time I lost my license, I had previously been called in by the state and told I had accumulated enough points that they could take my license right then. They gave me two choices: I could surrender my license and immediately begin my one-year suspension, or I could keep my license, be put on probation and if I went six months without a ticket I would have some points taken off my record and I'd be safe from suspension for the time being. I told the state official there was no way I could go six months without a ticket so they should just take the license. Then I got this big speil about insurance rates and how bad this would look on my driving record, yada, yada, yada. So I accepted the deal.

Fast forward a month or so later. I'm driving home from covering a track meet and I get pulled over in central Arkansas. I know I'm screwed if I get a ticket so I try to talk my way out of it. No dice. The trooper says, "Son, this ain't your first rodeo," walks back to his car and writes me a ticket. Two weeks later I'm catching rides to and from work with my dad and girlfriend. Did that for the next 12 months.

Maybe this is a little karma, but recently, after never getting out of a ticket, I get pulled over after work on my way to a going-away party for an intern. I had just returned from vacation where I lost my wallet and my oot-of-state tags were expired. The cop walks up and asks me for my license. I tell him I don't have it; I lost it on vacation. He asks me whose car it is. I tell him it's mine. But I have no way to prove it. For all he knows, I stole it and I'm out joyriding at 1 a.m. Saturday morning. He asks me and my two co-workers to step out of the car, then asks if I'll consent to a search of the vehicle. I got nothin' to hide so I say sure. My co-workers are being held off to the side by two other cops and they had to be thinking, "Why did I get a ride with this idiot?" The cop who pulled me over pulls me aside (at this point I'm trying to figure out whom to call to get me out of jail and how to pay for all the fines and court costs I'm inevitable facing) and says, "Make sure you get that new license. Have a nice day."

I'm in total shock. I can't believe he let me go! I wanted to jump out of the car and hug the man.

Anyway, those are a couple of my stories.

That was easily the longest of my 2000-plus posts.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

No, I don't expect it, but if you get pulled over for it, tough shit. You broke the law and got caught. Don't bitch about it. If you don't want a ticket, don't speed.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Luckily, most cops aren't stupid enough to think that someone who goes three miles over the speed limit is "breaking the law." If all such drivers were pulled over, 95 percent of all cars on any given road at any given time would be getting tickets constantly.

Draft saved Draft deleted