1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulled over on the way home from work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Louisiana is notorious for that shit. I don't know how Killick only got a $50 ticket for speeding on that stretch. I was pulled over three separate times, in three very different parts of the state, and over the span of maybe four years. Each time the ticket was in the $180 range. The worst was 75 in a 55, but the other two were only 10 miles over on the interstate. Same deal. I think the three tickets were $180, $192 and $186.
    Like I said in another post, I hit a stretch where I had four tickets in four different states in less than a year. Louisiana was one of them, and the fine was $186. The other three weren't more than $80 apiece. If you had the time, patience and money to argue that the fine is excessive punishment under the constitution, I wonder how far you could push that in court?

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

"FUCK YOU, MISTER NOT-SO-DEFENSIVELY-DRIVING UNDERCOVER COP!!"
    [​IMG]

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That didn't work for me.

My wife was in the hospital in 1999 and I got busted for doing 45 in a 30 on my way to see her. I contested the ticket and had a note from my wife's doctor. But my cop showed up, and while he and the judge were sympathetic to my plight, I still had to pay most of the ticket.

Earlier in the day, some dirtbag douchebag shows up to contest a charge he was doing 100 on the highway. He strolls up to the judge in his finest suspenders and wifebeater outfit. The cop who ticketed him isn't there. So dirtbag gets off scotfree. As the judge is writing something down, dirtbag looks back to the rest of us law-abiding folks and flashes the thumbs up.

Hopefully, he's met karma in the form of a tree. Fucker.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Mine looked more like this:
    [​IMG]
    but in a powder blue that had faded quite badly

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Given your handle, I'm reminded of the protagonist of "Meeting Across the River."

"Hey Eddie, can you lend me a few bucks tonight, can you get us a ride..."

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The job before this, I got pulled over a lot. Speeding ticket in one town, warning in another, bunch of bullshit stops that resulted in no ticket, and finally a ticket for illegal turn on red light when the light was green. Decided to fight it. The cop did a bad job on the ticket (heavy traffic at 2 a.m.? Surface wet when the weather report showed no rain?), but in that state you can't have a ticket dismissed on a technicality. Still, I can question the cop in court and make him look stupid. But judge is testy all day, makes the mistake of saying to someone before me that he has a lot of cases to hear, speed it up. Tells me enough cross-examination, he believes the cop, pay the fine. Basically trampled on everyone's legal rights that day.

So I filed an appeal. I bought a book about how to write an appellate brief. I spent hours in the law library. Did a good job, but about a week before I have to file the brief, I get a little nervous. I call a lawyer, tell him I wrote a pro se brief, can I pay him to look at it for me? He says, "No fucking way. In fact, now that you've learned how to be a lawyer, I think you ought to take up dentistry next." Hangs up on me.

But I won the appeal. Hahahaha. I paid for the court transcripts of the judge bitching about his caseload and repeatedly interrupting my cross-examination, and the appellate judge ruled in my favor on the basis that I was denied a fair trial. Ticket dismissed. But it was a lot of work, I'm not sure I'd do it again.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Here's my getting pulled over story --

Couple of years ago, between Christmas and New Year's, I went out bar hopping with a bunch of co-workers. There's a nice crowd and everyone is in the holiday spirit (and I'm kind of bummed out about a situation with a woman) so the drinks are flowing. I'm driving home from a bar and I get pulled over for speeding. I was sweating, because although I wasn't drunk, I had a few beers and I don't wanna know how close I am to the legal limit. The cop takes my license and insurance and walks back to his car...then his car rear-ends me. My first thought is that someone slammed into the cop car and I got caught in a domino thing.
    Cop comes to my car "You OK? Shit, my car slid out of gear. I gotta get this checked out. Just go home and drive careful!" When I got home, I dropped to my knees and started praying. I was on the wagon for 4+ months after that

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm only one page through this thread, but I'm going to go ahead and jump to the end for this:

GOOD LORD I HATE COPS. Oh my God, I hate them so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew. Thank you. Much better.

Really though, I do hate cops. Here's one of my favorite stories:

Once a friend was pulling my family's ski boat up to college. We left too late and it got dark and we knew we were stupid for pulling it, but ya know ... it was a boat, and it was college ... Anyway, he's leading the way and I'm following in my car and we're taking the back roads the whole way. Sure enough, we get pulled over (no shocker, really). And, again, no shock, it takes more than one cop to tell us we're idiots. We get 2 cops. Then 3. Then 4. Then 5. It's like we're god damn drug runners or something. Five fucking cops and five fucking cop cars. I drove to the nearest WalMart and bought a cheap pair of towing lights, and all five cops stayed the entire 45 minutes it took us to hook them up and get everything ready to go. Amazingly, they didn't write us a ticket, which we were pretty happy about, but they were huge asses about it. One skinny smart ass starts walking around the boat and comes up to me ...

Dumbass cop: "Is this your boat?"

Me: "Yeah."

Dumbass cop: "You know how much it weighs, right?"

Me: "I have good idea."

Dumbass: "Because I do. And it's illegal."

Me: "Uh, no. It isn't."

Dumbass: "Yep. Boats like this need more tires on the trailer. This is illegal. You want me to write it up?"

Me; "No. No, and, well, no. We bought a license plate for the back and the inspector looked at all the paperwork and approved everything. He wouldn't have done that if it was illegal. We've been pulled over before and no one's ever had a problem with it. It's approved by everyone, in addition to not actually being illegal."

Dumbass: "Well they got it wrong. You better get the fuck out of here before we get the boat off the trailer and weigh it."

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You hate cops because they showed concern for the general public because you didn't have parking or brake lights on a trailer and it was dark? If so, you're the dumbass.

You're right, it doesn't take five cops for a two-car traffic stop. And you're right, douchenozzle boat expert needed to STFU about the weight of the boat when you mentioned the paper work. But don't hate them because you were driving with lights intended for the safety of the driver and every other driver on the road.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm from Clanton. It's NOT the middle of nowhere. There's just not much around. ;)

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My grandfather died in a crash after falling asleep at the wheel. It happened well before I was born, but I don't even drive when I'm drowsy.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The last time I was pulled over I was on my way to the vet with not one, but two sick cats. My old (19 at the time) cat had kicked the younger one's ass, causing her eye to swell shut and discarge green stuff, and the older one needed his glands expressed.

I hit the little podunk town where by vet was and forgot to slow down when the speed limit changed to 45 from 70 (Yea, it was in Montana). I see a cop, the SUV U-turns, I just went ahead and pulled over. The cats go bonkers -- yowling, hissing, spitting, in general being nasty creatures.

Woman cop comes up to my car, and asks why I was going so fast, I tell sick cats. She lets me off, tells me not to drive over 45 in town and never even took my license or registration to make sure I was legal.

Only time my cats have ever saved me money.

Draft saved Draft deleted