1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulled over on the way home from work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 30, 2007.

1. This leads to one of my soapbox crusades that no one seems willing to address:
    The out-of-control charges affixed to traffic tickets.
    My last ticket, I was assessed a $20 fine for speeding (65 in a 60) and then $150 in court costs.
    The whole idea of cities, counties, munies and states tacking on exorbitant court costs seems excessive, but no one seems to give a shit.
    I think it's a lot like sin taxes. They are charging people doing bad things or breaking the law and milking them for all they can because they can get away with it.
    I think there should be a cap on speeding fines and court costs.

Rant over.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In a box, perhaps?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ding!

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'll echo these thoughts.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I guess if we’re telling car stories now I can tell you about the time sleep deprivation nearly cost me my life. I was 17 and living at home. Me and a friend had gone down to visit a college buddy 3.5 hours away for an early football game and a night of hanging out and partying. Our plan was to spend the night but it turned out there really wasn’t much of a place for us to stay and my buddy had to be back early the next morning anyway. So we left at 2 a.m. with me starting out the drive. Less than an hour in the trip I told my buddy I wasn’t going to make it. I wanted to get a hotel room and sleep for a while, but after we slept for about a half hour in a parking lot, he said he could take over driving (in my ’89 Ford Probe). He takes the wheel.

The next thing I remember is cruising down the grassy median in between the northbound and soutbound lanes, looking like we were mowing grass in my car. IF ONLY that had been the scary part, it would have been okay. I stayed under control, told him to stop the car and everything was going to be fine. It wasn’t. We had broken a tow arm on the car so the wheel would not turn properly. The car wasn’t drivable. This might out me to some folks because I’ve told the story before, but what the hey. We were on Interstate 65 in Alabama 8 miles south of the Clanton exit, aka IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! Not many cars coming along that stretch of highway at that time of night either. So, we were delighted when a group of 3 college-age kids in a convertible Mustang GT stop to lend us a hand. They help us push the car out of the median onto the other side of the road but we quickly discover my car isn’t going anywhere. They offer us a ride.

“Y’all been drinking,” I asked.

“Yeah, but we’re fine,” the drive said. It was pretty clear that they weren’t “fine” at all, but what other option did we have? We hop in the back of the GT – top down, radio blaring – it’s 50 degrees out and I’m freezing my ass off. They didn’t seem to notice.

I’m basically sitting on the trunk, ass halfway out of the seat behind the driver. So when he takes off I’m a little bit startled. He’s flying. I look over his shoulder in time to see him hit 125 mph down the center of the two lanes and begin praying to God to let us live. First exit – Clanton – nothing. No gas station, no hotel, no store. Next exit we get out at the Waffle House and spend the rest of the morning waiting for my brother to pick us up there.

That next Monday I’m picking up my car, and in general conversation with the tow truck driver/mechanic who hauled my car in and fixes it, I mention the odd threesome that picked my friend and me up and gave us a ride in that convertible Mustang GT.

He said it almost calmly. “Y’all won’t have to worry about them any more. They wrecked and all three were killed just south of Birmingham.”

“All three died?”

Yep, he tosses in the detail that the driver was decapitated. They’d wrecked racing with a Camaro they met up with. My departing words after thanking them for the ride were “Y’all be careful.”

Yikes!

I haven’t fallen asleep in a car since.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

With a distinctive last name and a brother, who is a well-known cop, has made for a couple of interesting traffic stops.
    One time I was pulled over, guy puts the flashlight in my face and asks "you been drinking tonight?" And I said, "not yet, but I'm headed to the bar right now. Why don't you come over after you get off shift."
    He looks at me a little closer and goes "ain't you [Name redacted]'s brother?"
    "Yep. I was also on the FOP football team with guys. But I don't think you played though."
    "Well, Hell, I would but they got me out to 3 this morning hunting drunks."
    "That sucks for you dude."

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Our city has a growing reputation for its bar row along Second Street. Friday and Saturday nights, people come from far off to party.

One night last fall, the city police department decided it wanted to ring up some DUIs. There's one street that leads to the highway out of town. And a block short of the on ramp, they set up a checkpoint I'd never seen before.

Two rows of orange cones, about 1 1/4 car-widths apart. And everyone leaving town had to drive between them. Anyone touching a cone going through was waved over to the adjacent street, where they were doing sobriety checks.

As I passed through -- thankfully, totally sober -- there must've been 30 cars on that side street awaiting the checks.

8. North61

North61 Member

I used to speed while on the job, but then I decided that it wasn't worth it. Sometimes you can get out of tickets by flashing the press pass, but more than likely that won't work. My theory is, if the paper sends you to a game so far away, with no access to the internet and expects you back at an unreasonable hour, then they better be second-guessing their decision. I am not going to risk losing my license or $120 out of pocket for the paper.
    [/quote]

After the football game ticket, I came to the same conclusion. I hate the paper I'm working at for a number of reasons and I told that to the SE and the ME-- If you send me out on a road assignment without internet access to send the story, I'm not speeding back to hit deadline again.
    They haven't sent me out since. Since I mainly cover preps, I also told them I'm not going on the road unless it's A. Football, B. State qualifier or C. State Tournament. Our paper is 7,000 circ daily and it's a joke traveling 100 miles at a time to cover events with my own car (22 cents a mile) and shitty pay.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Anybody want to tackle that one? ;)

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They're trolling for DUI drivers, which are very lucrative for the municipality.

Any minor driving irregularity that they generally don't care about in the daylight, like failure to use a turn signal, failure to maintain a complete stop for a full second, etc., gives them probable cause to pull you over. Our guys on the night shift here got pulled over so often the cops just waved to them once they saw who was driving.

I knew a black assistant coach who lived out of town about 10 miles and he got pulled over three or four times a year. DWB is real; the locals here also profile college-age drivers.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Coke on keyboard ... thanks, buck. ;)

Yeahhhh ... if you're telling me where and when you will allow them to send you for coverage ... wow. I be hopin' you're writing like Dave Kindred.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Two stories about getting pulled over by the police:

- Driving home from work at 1:30 am, I drive straight through a yellow light on the highway. Next thing I know there's a cop car behind me with its lights on so I pull over. He comes up to me and says "you know you went through that red light back there". I say "I thought I went though on yellow sir". He then says "I didn't have my gun on you, but it looked like you were speeding" I keep my mouth shut and hand him license, registration and insurance card. He comes back to the car and says "Since you have a clean record I'm going to let you go. But be more careful in the future. Had you looked like you tried to stop before going through the light I wouldn't have given you a ticket."
    (since then I've always tapped the brakes once or twice before going through a yellow light, to give the illusion I'm trying to stop)

2) I'm having a bad day, I'm making a left turn from the left lane at a traffic light onto a busy street on my way to the office to get my paycheck. This car comes along and cuts inside me to my left in making the turn, sort of cutting me off, pushing me out to the right lane. At the time I'm driving a piece of shit 1974 Gremlin. So I turn, look at the car and flip the bird. Next thing I know the car is behind me with red lights flashing in the grille -- yep, I just flipped off an unmarked cop car. The driver is shouting at me giving me the third degree. His partner looks over the outside of my car, sees I'm from the college in town, calms his partner down and lets me go with no ticket, just tells me not to do it again. Next morning in my first class, the hottest girl in the class comes up to me and says "Joe I hear you got in a little trouble yesterday" and I said "How did you hear about this?" She said "My dad came home from work last night and said do I know Joe (last name)?" and I told him "Yes, he's a really nice guy" and then her father told her what happened. Turns out her father was the nice cop who calmed his partner down.

Draft saved Draft deleted