1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulled over on the way home from work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 30, 2007.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My mother was put in the hospital a couple of weeks ago for heart related stuff. When I got the news, I immediately left work to head to Augusta. I had to swing by my house (50 miles away) to get Mrs. ByDesign77. I made the trip in about half an hour, including a stop by local law enforcement for 96 in a 65. The only reason I was going that slow was it was my exit. He let me go without so much as a warning when I told him where I was going.

2. Kent_Dorfman

Kent_Dorfman Member

That's called "white coat high blood pressure." It's not uncommon, but just so you know, it's more common in people who are predisposed to developing constant high blood pressure.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nice! Learn something new every day here:

http://www.armymedicine.army.mil/hc/healthtips/13/200308highbloodpressure.cfm

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just a tip for those who get pulled over at night. If you turn your interior light on right away and put your hands on the wheel, a cop will be able to see what you're doing, and since you're hands are up on the wheel, they'll also know you don't seem too intent on pulling anything on them. In the middle of the night that can be a big relief for someone who as far as they know, could be about to deal with a really rowdy drunk or straight up asshole.

5. Me?
    I try away from Officer Cockknobber's patrol area.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was coming home on the interstate one night, and rolled up on a small traffic jam caused by a cop going 60 or 65 in a 70 mph zone. After a couple miles of following him (rule No. 3 of the road -- NEVER pass a cop if you can help it) I realized he was going well below the limit and passed him going 70. Well, a couple miles up the road was a city section of the interstate, where the limit dropped from 70 to 60. The cop starts following me, and I just know he's waiting for it to drop to 60 so he can pull me over.
    Then, sweet providence, luck arrived in the form a black mustang. Dumbass shot down the on-ramp going at least 90 and had a buddy right behind him. The cop forgot about me in a hurry and pulled the other guy over as I laughed my ass off.

Made up for the year I got pulled over six times in four different states, and got four tickets. Even got my car searched once, with the cop telling me he "smelled marijuana" -- even though I've never smoked pot in my life, let alone done it in the car.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Also, it is common courtesy to put your dick away in these situations.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I once was stopped for walking a night. Worked in a smallish town and was visiting "a friend" in an apartment near the office where I had left my car.

Was walking back to get the car after midnight and the cops stopped me and grilled me. Guess they assumed anyone out after dark had to be up to no good.

My favorite driving story is when I was on a busy highway in the middle of the day and a camaro fill with rowdy assholes ran right up my bumper. I could see the guys drinking and one threw a beer can out the window.

I didn't have anywhere to go. There was a lot of traffic so the swerved through three lanes and back to get in the far left lane.

Only problem was that lane ended. They tried to correct and ended up flipping on the interstate in front of me and landing on their hood. A couple other cars were dinged but no one was seriously hurt.

The turds are crawling out of their car and beer cans are everywhere. A cop comes to check on everyone and ask what I saw.

"Well, they were drinking and driving crazy,'' I said.

"Yeah, we got that," said the cop.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I know they say that driving while sleep-deprived is as bad as driving drunk, but could he have arrested me for driving impaired, even if it was not under the influence of any alcohol or drugs?
    I didn't sleep much last night either (there seems to be a setpoint that keeps me from going to sleep before a certain time no matter how much or little sleep I had the night before).
    Tonight, I'll try to make it a point to leave earlier, no matter how behind I might be.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

While making a driving trip to Houston many, many summers ago, I'm on US10 between New Orleans and our destination. Raised highway, over the bayou, opposite traffic is on another bridge. So, I'm thinking that only way I get a ticket is if I pass a cop. Got our rental up to 110 for a pretty good stretch of it. The raised (and separated) highway ends, and I back it off. The next day, driving back the same way and before the highway splits again, I pass a cop going in the opposite direction. I quickly noticed I was doing 65 in a 55 -- that, and his head snap and look directly at me, as he slows and preps for a u-turn. Shit. I just pulled over, put my hands on the steering wheel and waited for him to arrive. I knew he had me, just accepted the karmic balance. Got a $50 ticket, but felt like telling him "Shit, you shoulda caught me yesterday, pal!"

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

A couple years ago, I was headed back to the Mississippi Gulf Coast from Baton Rouge after an abysmal Ole Miss-LSU basketball game. (The Rebs held the Tigahs to 10 first-half points, leading 21-10 then lose 58-45. The teams shoulda had *their* licenses pulled.) I'm on my way back sometime around 8 or 9 p.m. when a cop turns on his blues behind me on the dead stretch between Baton Rouge and Slidell.

He pulls me over and says I was riding on right white line. I've rented some compact car and was kind of leaning to the right in my seat, so my car might have been further to the right than I normally drive, the best I can figure. He starts asking me what I was doing and I tell him I'm headed back after the basketball game. He asks what I was doing and I told him I was a reporter. Once he'd figured out I wasn't drunk (hadn't even had a beer with dinner), he started quizzing me about the game. He'd watched the first half and had gone on watch for the second, so he needed updating. I was more than happy to oblige and he let me on my way after a little roadside recap.

Also got pulled over routinely after Katrina. There was a 10 p.m. curfew, so we'd all be breaking the law after getting the paper out. Just kept our press credentials conspicous and they always let me go.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

That's a pretty notorious stretch of highway for speeding tickets, I believe. People think they can't get pulled over so they speed; cops know that and *can* make the U-turns and get you.

Draft saved Draft deleted