1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulled over on the way home from work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This evening, on the way home from work, a state trooper stopped me. I wasn't sure why and was more than a little confused. I wasn't speeding. I didn't run a red light. I had not been drinking (I don't drink) or using any medications.
    He said I had been weaving. I wasn't aware that I was, but if that's what he saw, that's what he saw. He suspected I had been drinking. I didn't argue with him, but for some reason when he asked me to follow his finger with my eyes, I had trouble doing it. After several tries, I finally was able to do it, he was satisfied that I had not been drinking and he let me go, but he said I seemed unusually nervous (I guess that's the way I act when I'm stopped, especially when I'm not sure why).
    I'm still a little puzzled about this. If I wasn't drinking, what could have caused this? I know I didn't get much sleep last night and I had just spent the better part of 10 hours working in front of a computer screen. Could that have been it?
    Has this ever happened to anyone else?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I totally think it could have been lack of sleep and zoning out at the computer.

And the nervousness is the same reason my blood pressure is higher when the nurse checks it before I have a procedure: because I'm scared as fuck, ergo my blood pressure increases.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I would guess staring at the computer is why you couldn't follow his finger.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When I drive tired I tend to pay less attention and zone out, that could lead to swerving. Sometimes people that are buzzed actually drive more cautious because they pay so much attention. Sober drivers tend to speed and swerve some because they don't pay as much attention.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sometimes cops need OVCs, out of vehicle contacts, for their quotas and being close to the end of the month, the trooper may have been looking to pad.
    It happens, and wait until seatbelt usage becomes a primary law.
    Plus it was late, you might have been the only car out and you might have been swerving inside the lane and that's a reason to pull someone over.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I never understood why a cop would say something along the lines of 'You look nervous.' Well, I just got pulled over and I can't figure out why, so yeah, I am nervous.

Plus, I have a pound of weed in the back and I hope you don't see it. Oh wait, wrong thread.

7. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Yeah, I'm fucking nervous because dead men can't testify against cops.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

As Junkie says, nothing gets the adrenaline running like those lights in the rear view mirror.

But the last time I was stopped, I was completely cool and calm. Sirens are flashing on the highway and I'm like crap, ok, guess I'll pull over. I pull over and have my ID and insurance ready when the cop comes over to the passenger side. I roll down the window and start to give him the ID when he says "Nah, that's OK. I've been following you for almost an hour and you've been going 75 the whole time. I wanted to make sure you weren't drunk."

Me: "Not drunk, just cruising along. Running late and I guess I just zoned out."

Then the guy started gazing around the car and asked if I was a writer. what gave it away? Six months of newspapers?

He was quite cool, just said to drop it down about 10 mph the rest of the way.

Then, of course, there's the cockknobber who pulled me over on a barren Grand Central Parkway at 2 am on a Saturday night and nailed me for doing 12 mph over the limit. And then he showed up at the court appearance. Fuck that guy.

9. North61

North61 Member

2006 was a shit year for me and the police. I was pulled over four times and ticketed three times after no speeding violations in seven years. Three times were work related.

The first time was in February, pulled over driving home late on a country road (30 minute commute at the time) just before midnight and driving 5 mph over with no traffic. Cop was on the shoulder of the opposing lane without headlights on, turned around and pulled me over. $120

The second time was a month later, two troopers pulled me over for again, going 5 mph over on the same road on a Friday night. But the cop was on drunk patrol and I guess I wasn't worth his time - he was full of attitude and decided to give me a warning.

Third time was after a HS football game I covered 50 miles away. On my way back into town, maybe a mile from the office, got popped 20 mintues before deadline. Tried to explain to the cop I was on deadline, but he was just a dick and wrote me up anyways. Story got in and I got another $120 ticket.

Combined with another speeding ticket last summer, the State is going to pull my license if I get one more ticket.

10. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Your car might need an alignment.

11. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

[​IMG]

Fuck tha police.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I was once pulled over for suspicion of reckless driving and/or driving under the influence. That was funny to me because ever since I can remember, I've been the designated driver for my friends, because I don't drink.

Anyway, when we left a downtown Podunk bar at 2 a.m., this guy in a huge pickup truck rode my bumper close. To make the point that I didn't appreciate it, I went the speed limit -- 20 mph -- knowing that he couldn't pass me on a two-lane road with the solid double-yellow line until it expanded to four lanes in a couple blocks. He honked nonstep. And when he did zoom past me, I made sure to give him the finger, which his lady saw. No problem, just get to my friend's place where everyone will continue drinking.

Problem is, the lady called the cops on me, reporting my make and license plate. So a cop car followed me across town to my friend's place. At least I thought it was only one. As friends put it, "there was another, and then another" behind the one I saw. Three cop cars followed me five minutes across town because I showed up a jackass who rode my bumper too close, and he wanted to get back at me. Meanwhile, six cars -- all driven by journalists who probably consumed too much to legally drive -- all drove to the same apartment. But the sober guy served as a decoy for them.

He turned on his lights when I parked, claiming I forgot to signal a right turn on my final turn, never mind that a cop that followed me for the past five minutes might make me a tad nervous. Then he explained the call-in report, and I gave him my side of the story.

"Do you have any open containers in your car?"
    "Yes, I do."
    "What have you been drinking?"
    "Code Reds at work (cans from my commute to games that week), Dr Peppers at The Loft (the bar we went to)."

I didn't care, I was pissed. Besides, it's not like I could get in trouble for answering questions honestly.

From that moment until I left my former stop, some co-workers called me Decoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted