1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulitzers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KnuteRockne, Apr 16, 2007.

1. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

No we're not. We fill a very loyal niche.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Pioneer Press won a Pulitzer for the Minnesota scandal, in 2000.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Since you don't seem to be interested in debating this on a higher level, I will respond as you did:

Do too.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

twoback - we fill the void of a very loud and passionate minority as far as sales are concerned.

5. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

OK - Every study I've ever seen shows that about 70 percent of readers read the A section, a smaller but significant portion read local, and about 30-40 percent read sports.

And as I said before, I just don't think 99.9999 percent of sports writers get the time to put into stories to win Pulitzers. There's no doubt that, say, Juliet Macur has the ability to follow a feature series through and put a Pulitzer shine on it if the Times ever gave her that chance. But look at this year's feature winner, Andrea Elliott. She spent months and months hanging out with this imam living in Brooklyn. No other assignments to my knowledge during that time. A few years ago, Sonia Nuzzio of the L.A. Times rode the tops of trains from Guatamala through Mexico and up toward Texas. She hung out with border jumpers at camps at the Rio Grande. THAT is the kind of work that wins the Pulitzer. What compares in sports? I'm sure there are opportunities. Perhaps one of Gary Smith's narratives would have a chance if it ran in a newspaper. They all transcend their subject matter. "The Deadly Dive" would have been Pulitzer quality work had it run in a newspaper.

That being said, there's no reason that restaurant reviewers and auto commentators can win the criticism category and sports writers can't.

But we've got to bring it bigger and deeper than we have been if we want to break in.

6. Wingnut Welfare checkin' in.
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/BrentBozellIII/2007/04/18/the_pulitzer_racket

Did you know that Ann Coulter has NEVER WON A PULITZER?!!!
    The horror.
    Told you that imam series would piss 'em off.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But she has won a Man of the Year award somewhere... so she's got that goin for her.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Not journalism-related, but FWIW the Pulitzer judges ignored the three finalists for drama -- all of them extremely obscure plays; I have no idea if they're any good or not -- in favor of a play that had somewhat mixed reviews on Broadway this year. ("Rabbit Hole," starring Tyne Daly and Cynthia Nixon, and I'm sure there are some jokes to be mined there.)

9. Big fish.
    Small barrel.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Chron's BALCO didn't win - probably the biggest story in sports in the last 20 years.

11. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

That's because they sacrificed a shot at the Pulitzer to write a book instead.

12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Pulitzers have to go to sports at some point.

Many times it's the best writing in the paper.

You got news, drama, business and entertainment all in the same story, and many times on deadline.

How can anyone overlook that?

It's way past time for the Pulitzers to recognize the sports people.

And designers also.

Draft saved Draft deleted