1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulitzers 2020

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, May 4, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Anchorage, Alaska paper's series on the small towns that either don't have any police protection or have hired registered sex offenders and other criminals as cops is a tremendous read. Be prepared to have your blood pressure spike.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Ted Cruz.

But, there were plenty others making a stink.

3. Severian

I'd love to get a judge's take on why the series wasn't included. Did the publication dates not follow the rules? Did it not make a big enough impact?

Slacker likes this.
  4. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Why didn't The Miami Herald win for Epstein? Because it was published in 2018.

That happens sometimes, where work from a previous year (2018) becomes more widely known and respected the following year (2019), so people are mystified when it doesn't win (2020).

Theoretically, you could submit again, with new work as the entry, and older work as supplemental material, explaining it all in the entry letter. I have no idea whether the Herald tried that.

5. Severian

Bad timing. Brown did win a Polk award for her coverage, so there's that.

inthesuburbs likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The door is wide open for a 2021 Pulitzer in Southern Oklahoma then.

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Some of the winners were Gannett properties so you’re onto something

8. Severian

Indeed. The prize money will likely go to the hedge fund managers as part of debt repayment.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Mike Keefe won the Pulitzer for cartooning in 2011 and was let go by DFM at teh Denver Post the same year.

And I think that Matt Wuerker was laid off from Gannett in the same year he was a cartoonist finalist. I am not 100% sure, though.

10. Severian

He was laid off from Gannett but landed at Politico, and he seems to be doing pretty well for himself. Cartooning for Politico seems comfy.

Draft saved Draft deleted