1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulitzer winners announced -- did I miss the thread?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not sure I follow. If they skip the french fries story, they can nail the Goldschmidt perv and the Sam Adams perv?

Oregonian also knew some of the Packwood stuff in the early 1990s yet suffered the indignity of The Washington Post breaking it, so they are 0-3 on big stories like that. Maybe the editor didn't have the guts. Maybe they had the guts but simply couldn't get the story. Maybe they were comfy as a daily monopoly and decided they would get it when they were sure. I doubt french fries were the prob. You could also say, stop covering Blazers road games and you can blow the lid of the lumber industry.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

More of a case of "missing" stuff right in front of their face while they are chasing down stuff outside their circ area.
    I'd argue that before you go chasing prizes, you make sure you have your home area locked down. I get the impression that papers have less of a problem turning over rocks outside of their prime advertising/circ area than they do within it.
    The Adams thing is another deal - since he had a former Oregonian staffer as his flack and a partner on staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted