1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulitzer thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Apr 12, 2010.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's pretty simple: Pulitzer rewards social and civil change. 8.4 million recalls, congressional hearings and halts in manufacturing are examples of change.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Excellent journalism is often rewarded by the Pulitzers. This does not change one iota the fact the Prize structure is a complete farce (this is made more clear in the arts awards). I will believe these awards are made strictly on merit the year the Post and Times don't win any, which of course will never happen.

3. Just being devil's advocate here and trying to get you to further articulate your objection to the process: Is it really the upset of the century that the two newspapers that put the most resources into national coverage and hire the best reporters and pay them the most win the most Pulitzers? Similarly, St. Petersburg throws tons of resources into feature reporting and, thus, has cleaned up in that category over the years.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That story still haunts me, I thought of it the other day when it was really hot and I was driving with my kid. Congrats to Gene.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Interesting story in the Post today on the Bristol winner and the story that won him the award. How timely that after winning a Pulitzer at 28, he's close to leaving the biz.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/18/AR2010041803106.html

7. The chances of this guy, with a degree in international relations from the University of Chicago, staying in newspapers is exactly zero. I'm sure that he could get into Yale Law School tomorrow. I suspect that we'll be calling him Senator Gilbert or Secretary of State Gilbert or Justice Gilbert some day. The Pulitzer will be an interesting factoid on his Wikipedia page.

Also liked the note in that Post piece about how the story about the local Hooters girls getting into the national calendar had three times the page views as his investigative work.

Oh, the fiction winner was interesting, too. He couldn't get anyone to publish his novel for years.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Professionally speaking, just what is a Pulitzer worth at your shop? A couple weeks off? $10,000 raise?

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

Gah. Completely left that out of my post. Thanks for pointing this out.

I can't say I'm not surprised. If the guy wrote a story about the Jersey Shore kids, I'm sure that'd do wonderful online as well. Sad state of things, but no longer a surprise, unfortunately.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

At a lot of shops, probably a pink slip since you're now an accomplished journalist who merits a $10,000 raise.

Draft saved Draft deleted