1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puking kids

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scouter, Jan 22, 2010.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

No, Chunks is our mascot.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What comparison?

3. What if his name was Ralph or Chuck?

I don't think it's a big deal one way or another.

I once wrote a column about a team watching game film and mentioned how the coach and the team broke down a player losing his gum, during a game, picked it up and put it back in his mouth as he headed back down court w/o missing a beat.
    The coaches kept re-playing the scene, and slo-mow'd it a few times as well.
    The kid didn't care, but his grandmother was upset.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Donovan McNabb says you shouldn't write about this.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If they're actually, you know, choking, then it might be newsworthy.
    In the metaphorical sense? Up for debate.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, I threw up during a swim meet. During a race. That I was in.
    Hit the last turn of the 200 IM while trying to catch someone and I felt my stomach flip. I felt like a whale shark or something, swimming with my mouth open. I finished last, but did not stop.
    Neither did the meet. I told one of the officials about it and he just said, "They're on the blocks already. Nothing we can do now." :p

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Some on here have said "it's not a story" and they're right. But Scouter never said it was "a story."

However, it's part of a story - a game story. The vomitting happened during the game. It stopped the game. It involved a player who played in the game. So, yes, it's part of the story. Big or small, and that's subjective, it's part of the story.

Could you leave it out? Sure. You can leave out anything you want.

Could you be justified including it in a "notebook" accompanying the story? Absolutely, if only for the reasons above.

I think Oscar nailed it with his suggestion.

That's not to say you're wrong or a terrbile reporter for not including it either.

There's no right answer.

It's justified either way.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ask this guy.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

spnited: I'm kind of ambivalent, but "didn't have an impact on the game" isn't really a test for inclusion in a notebook.

Notebooks are filled with items like that.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't think I've ever seen anyone yack other than in a XC/track meet, but reading this thread and the belief that everyone who was there will remember Johnny Pukebucket yacking 10 years later reminded me of a HS buddy who was playing in a JV basketball game.

He sidled up to the coach during play. "Coach you gotta take me out," he said.

"What? Why?" the coach said.

"I just shit my pants," he said.

More than 20 years later and I still remember the kid for that. :D :D :D

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

You're wrong, at least IMO.

I never would have written about it, especially knowing it could embarrass the kiddo, especially a high schooler, and it had no impact on the actual game. There are circumstances, as others have stated, where it could be included. Yours was not one of them.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If it had an impact on the game, I'd write about it, but not use the kid's name. Otherwise, it does not merit mention. When I played football, we had people puking on the field all the time. Obviously in basketball it's a bit different.

Draft saved Draft deleted