1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols ... unanimous

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 24, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

(I meant that for Baggerly, not you, BB.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tell that to Ted Williams' head.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think Baggerly justified his vote very nicely. When you have 10th-place votes, this is, in my opinion, a very good use of it. However, I'd be a lot more impressed if it was done for a player not on the team he covers. You want to make a statement vote? Do some research and do it for a similarly unsung hero from another team.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. outofplace

Oh, I get his case. Still seems like he's looking for a little attention for hismelf rather than worrying about a few more baseball fans knowing what a wonderful contributor Jeremy Affeldt is.

I don't like voters using their votes to make a statement. I hate it when Hall of Fame voters do it and I hate it in cases like this. You want to make a statement? You write for a newspaper. You have a forum to do that. That is not what these votes are for. Just my opinion. I know many others do not share this particular pet peeve with me.

5. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Yeah, what an ass. He just struck out more than a batter an inning and was the team's second-best pitcher before his elbow gave out. He's awful.

Seriously, do you even watch baseball?

6. outofplace

You are entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to believe knowing the guy might just make it harder to see it if he does something like that rather than easier to see his actions objectively.

7. outofplace

I didn't say he was an attention whore all the time. I said that is what he was doing in this instance. Perhaps that is a source of at least part of our disagreement here.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Um....huh?

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That joke.

Your head. ::)

10. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Silly me. I thought jokes were supposed to be funny. And make sense.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm not sure why anyone would care who someone gave a totally meaningless 10th place vote to.
    There is no reason to have more than five spots on the ballot to begin with.

Seriously...Yunel Escobar, Yadier Molina, Joey Voto. Huston Street, Mark Reynolds, Justin Upton, Brad Hawpe .. you gotta be kidding me.

Cut it off at five and get rid of the mediocre players.
    And someone voting Derrek Lee 2nd is as big a travesty as anything.

12. outofplace

Yeah, Derrek Lee 2nd is awful. I missed that one.

Kind of a wide range of player you have tossed together there, but I see your point. It probably would make sense to just have five spots. Why is it 10? To make it harder to leave deserving players off completely?

I believe I explained my issue with what Baggerly did. It's not that the 10th-place vote has an impact. It didn't and it would be a really odd case if it ever did. I just have an issue with statement votes. Vote 'em as you believe the players deserve. You're a writer. You already have a forum if you want to make a statement.

He had a point worth making Affeldt was the best set-up guy in baseball and the average baseball fan most likely either doesn't know who he is or only remembers him as another Royals prospect who didn't work out.

But a column explaining that with numbers and quotes to back it up is a heck of a lot more convincing and than a 10th-place MVP vote.

Draft saved Draft deleted