1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols' trainer and Deadspin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Jun 8, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Doesn't Albert, while on th DL, show up at the ball park for treatment or something? Doesn't some reporter/beat guy have to at least ask about Mihlfeld's name coming up in this mess?
    Even if it's a no comment, or "I don't know anything about that," don't you at least have to ask? And isn't Albert's response of innoncence/ignorance in relation to Mihlfeld then at least worth a notebook lead?

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Dont know about question No. 1, but the subsequent answers are yes, yes and yes. If you're covering the team, there's a tactful, professional way to broach the subject. Ignoring it would not seem to be a particularly intelligent option.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think the Cardinal beat guys are too busy writing features on Tony LaRussa adopting stray puppies.

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Wasn't that Bobby Cox? Or did I miss something with LaRussa's love for pups?

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Meet the Cardinals' new beat writer ...

[​IMG]

6. somewriter

somewriter Member

Bobby Cox is the one beating his wife.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I wasn't referring to the home runs, but more the slugging percentage, which was similar.

If you wanted to make a leap to the juice, I guess you could look at the doubles which he turned into homers, but I wasn't going there.

Don't know what he's taking, if anything. But I did see him regularly in Cards' training camp that spring when he made the team.
    It was pretty clear he was ready. The Cardinals kept trying to find reasons why he wouldn't make the jump to the bigs, and he kept answering every question.

In another era, I guess we could posit that there are just some players who are just ready that young. Maybe he could have jumped straight to the bigs. It happens, although in those rare instances, the players usually went to college first.
    Guerrero was 20 when be broke in, wasn't he? He did have some minor-league time. But he also had a lot of catching up to do when he arrived in the U.S. from the Dominican, while it was clear that Pujols had the best of the best as he was groomed for greatness.

All of which to say, I'm a little stumped on this one. But I do want to believe.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I wouldn't exactly call that backtracking.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, that isn't backtracking. Backtracking would at least mean trying to save face.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

There is a connection between Grimsley and this trainer. There is a connection between this trainer and Pujols. Whether or not the guy is actually on the list, that's a hell of a lot more reporting on the issue than the P-D and Mr. "What's there to look into" Hummel have ever done.

Draft saved Draft deleted