1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols' trainer and Deadspin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Jun 8, 2006.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

When I talk to baseball writers about Pujols, the most common response is: "Oh, he's clean," as though they KNOW he hasn't juiced. How do they know? The truth is, they don't want to know. Nobody in the media has really dared to question Pujols' numbers. I hear, "Oh he's such a great, moral, Christian guy, he'd never do steroids." Or, "He's always been a big strong guy."

Please. Nobody in baseball right now is above suspicion. Yet there has been a significant lack of suspicion in the media regarding Pujols, especially in St. Louis. Please tell me, what kind of investigative pieces has the Post-Dispatch done to cast a critical eye toward Pujols? Of course, that's a rhetorical question because you won't find any. And that's a paper that has the resources to do that kind of investigation.

2. somewriter

somewriter Member

From Jeff Pearlman's previously discussed Slate article:

"Albert isn't an enhanced thug like some of the other suspects," explains Rick Hummel, the longtime Post-Dispatch baseball writer. "He hasn't grown significantly and he's always had a lot of power. So what's there to look into?"

http://www.slate.com/id/2142937/?nav=fo

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And that is, at least partly, the creation of the crowd -- both in the media and in the business of baseball -- that looked the other way when the steroid phase began.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Mark McGwire was also a naturally big guy who always had a lot of power. Turns out he had something to hide.

It's sad that ball players must nowadays prove their innocence rather than have someone else prove their guilt, but you can't really take anyone at face value any more. It sucks to be so cynical.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Cowherd is unabashedly invoking the name of Pujols on his show right now.

He said, "Before you say, 'Colin, be responsible. Colin, be a journalist.' -- I'm not a journalist. I'm a talk-show host. I don't have any problem talking about it. And I think it's fair, in this era, to connect the dots."

Just so we all remember who's not a journalist when the crowd gathers at the locker-room door...

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I guess we're all a little misleading.

The major jump, from my perspective was from that year in the mid-minors to the massive jump to being a rookie in MLB.

I do like your stat re: he longest stop that year.

He had 17 HRs in 395 at-bats.

As a rookie in the majors, he had 37 HRs in 590 at-bats (weird aside ... until this season, Pujols' minimum ABs in a season: 590. Maximum? 592).

Let's get him to the 34 HRs you mentioned in his second year in the majors, if you wish.

That would be 34 HRs in 790 ABs in AA.

He hit three more HRs as a rookie in the majors in 200 FEWER at-bats? Or, using the preference in your post, the same number of homers in those 200 fewer ABs (still... the rookie transition is the jaw-dropping one... so I think we should stick with that.)

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't think that andro was against US law at that time.

I know it is considered, legally, a steroid now.

I don't think it was back then, though.

Maybe I'm wrong.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't think andro was all he was doing.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, this thread has strayed far from the original topic, which was, how much credence do you place in Deadspin as a reporter? If the Washington Post broke a story naming some of the names from Grimsley's affidavit, we'd all jump on it and write, ``Joe Blow was implicated as a steroid user in the affidavit of Jason Grimsley, the Washington Post reported,'' and then go get reaction or whatever. Do you do the same thing if the names are named on Deadspin? Does it have enough credibility that if it breaks something big you need to address it in the paper? I think that was the question at hand.

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The bar for running with a story is lower at Deadspin, so no, you don't give it as much credibility and you don't publish it in your paper citing Deadspin as the source. But if you're a reporter covering the Cardinals and you see this on Deadspin, you probably should get to work getting this information from your own sources.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which is a chickenshit excuse for not looking into it since PEDs do more than make you big.

Draft saved Draft deleted