1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols to the Angels for 10 years, $250 million

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think Fox gave them a new deal, as each team is receiving the benefit from the bidding war kicked off by the Lakers' new team-owned network.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

But Pujols is "only" 31.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But Prince had the higher OPS last year.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

For the first time evah. And he still gave back that entire advantage with defense and baserunning.

If .906 is Pujols' new standard, then yeah, they are close. But I'm betting it isn't.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

St. Louis will burn to the ground.

Cannot believe they didn't match it or beat it.

Lozano will be eating pussy for months now.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As an Angels fan, getting Pujols and Wilson is mind-boggling. Arte stepped up big time.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Heyman on MLB TV this morning said the Angels are in year 6 of their 10-year, $50 million contract.

I don't think they have any future TV deals lined up...yet.

8. dieditor

dieditor Member

They already had to match the Miami offer. At some point ownership had to say "enough is enough." And honestly, everybody has their price, and for a total of $30 million more than the Cardinals offered, I bet the pressure from Lozano and the union was probably pretty strong.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It might change his grandchildren's future. It might change another niece or nephew's future. It might change an old baseball coach who helped him out as a kid's future. Or that guy's kids' futures.

I hate when we project our values onto professional athletes. Key word: professional. Maybe he doesn't give a shit about being iconic in St. Louis. Or worshipped. Maybe he loves L.A. Maybe his wife loves L.A. Maybe he wants a new challenge. Maybe that extra $50 million is earmarked to build schools in some war-torn African country.

Who knows? Who cares? Not against you, shottie, but nothing gets under my skin more than the idea that these lucky laborers should just accept what their wealthy massuhs offer them and be grateful for the opportunity. Every middle-class workers in America bitches and moans about not being paid what they are worth, and then they get pissed when athletes take more money. I don't fucking get it.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

According to Bill Shaikin two months ago, they and Fox are getting pretty close to ripping up that deal and signing a new one -- and that new one includes part ownership in the channel.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgers/2011/10/angels-not-dodgers-close-to-new-tv-deal-with-fox.html

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Congrats to Tim Brown of Yahoo for breaking the story. Great get.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, two months ago might as well be two decades ago, given this morning's developments.

Draft saved Draft deleted