1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols to the Angels for 10 years, $250 million

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Any Cardinal fan who is pissed at Pujols for leaving is a fucking idiot.

Show me the money, baby.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Joel Sherman reporting Angels have finalized deal with CJ Wilson as well.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

An agent hoodwinks another team into taking an overpriced player on the decline. The Angels are idiots to give him 10 years. I suppose it gives the Angels some cred, but that won't mean much five years down the road when Pujols is hitting .270 but still making $25 million or whatever.

They did the Cardinals a huge favor. St. Louis can now spend its money elsewhere on players with upside, instead of spending millions on a broken-down 38-year-old six years down the road, and the new manager won't have to worry about earning the respect of a major ego in the clubhouse (even though Pujols did seem like a team player).

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The meltdown that is about to commence within the mullet-headed, jort-wearing Cardinal nation will be priceless.

5. dieditor

dieditor Member

I'm not delusional, that's a hell of a blow...for about four years. In 2020, not having to pay that salary will be the best thing that ever happened to St. Louis. I was on here yesterday saying I hated the Cardinals offering 10 years. At least in the AL he can be a fat Mo Vaughn-like DH in a few years.

It stings a little more than I expected, to be sure. But as a guy who doesn't get all fanboi about individual players, I'm glad we had him for 11 years.

6. RickStain

Scott Boras is not his agent.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Not Boras. Dan Lozano is Pujols' agent.

And AQB, take a look at the Post-Dispatch message board. Most poster are fine with Pujols leaving.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The MLB's national deals will follow the NFL's and I'd guess they will go up at a similar rate. But the real place to keep your eye with MLB is on the RSNs and local deals, where they're seeing the biggest growth. Remember in 1997 when everybody was running around saying "content is king"? Well, MLB has more content (162-game season) than any other sports league. Upside hasn't been close to realized yet.

9. RickStain

That's how most Cardinals fans I've read are taking it.

They think it sucks that Albert Pujols will no longer be on the team, but they aren't wishing the team had come close to matching the deal.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Two crybabies gone since Halloween. Once Carpenter retires the club might not be so loathsome once again.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, that damn Scott Boras strikes again, this time having the audacity to disguise himself as Danny Lozano.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is TONS more revenue for MLB to realize via Regional Sports Networks. Wasn't the Fox deal McCourt wanted worth $3 billion over 20 years? Rangers just got a massive number too, and several teams (Giants, Yankees, Red Sox and I believe some others) are getting ownership of the RSNs instead of/in addition to rights fees. Those RSNs are gold mines, the highest-priced channels for the cable provider to buy.

Draft saved Draft deleted