1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols to the Angels for 10 years, $250 million

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not saying you don't grab Pujols ... but what do you do now with Mark Trumbo, who had 29 homers in 2011?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm not complaining.

Of course it's a crap contract and of course he's really 33 and of course his bat speed and production are on the slide, but...

...I'm happy to see Arte acting like he's the owner of a major market club flush with cash.

From a business standpoint, it might not be such a bad contract, if you consider it a 3-4 year insurance policy against the local market's coming wave of Dodger mania, once the team gets sold. Especially if the Dodgers end up moving downtown, thus sparking 2-3 years of enormous buzz in SoCal.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You put him at third, where he played this fall in Arizona, IIRC.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Looks like Torii's hat.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do the Angels have, or are they creating, their own RSN?

6. Cardinals to leak his real age in 3, 2,....

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm stunned he actually left St. Louis. And this contract will be an albatross for the Angels.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Didn't know that. Thanks.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ask any Cardinals fan and they'll tell you that themselves. Of course, this time yesterday they'd be telling you how Pujols didn't care about money, he just loved St. Louis too much to leave and was all about his legacy.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, no.

Just commenting. They just have no one to blame but themselves for skyrocketing salaries.

MLB has done a great job at growing revenue, but I'm not sure they've really grown the game.

The NFL is about to get 60% more in TV revenue. I don't think MLB is about to see that. I feel like they're close to maximizing revenue, and they're going to fuck it up.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Or package him with Borjous, who's also under club control a bunch more years, to a smaller market club for a pitcher who's going to need to get paid. A's seem to be chopping Cahill and Gonzalez. Maybe that's a fit? Borjous seems like a luxury since Trout is going to the Angels center fielder. I suppose they wouldn't trade within division, though.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The Angels are about to triple their local TV deal, so that's certainly where this money came from.

Draft saved Draft deleted