1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols is NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by joe, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From what he writes, I don't think Simon has ever played sports. And I'm not saying that he had play sports to give an opinion, but he's very judgmental about things that can easily lead one to believe that he doesn't know much about camaraderie.
    As for covering baseball, no that isn't a prerequisite for giving an opinion. In fact, I welcome and respect his opinion. However, I am more inclined to listen to someone such as Casty who has been in the clubhouses, and has known the players, and who may have a better sense of what the Most Valuable Player award is than from someone who spouts off after listening to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'd take their disciples over the whelps from Baseball Prospectus.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

This is why America is falling apart — 300-plus posts on a baseball thread in the middle of November.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

We thank you for doing your part.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's true. I never played Major League Baseball. Or in the NFL, NBA, Premier League, Bundesliga or even the NASL, MLS or NHL.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and I'll bet neither did Drip.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I never played pro. Wasn't good enough.
    But I don't believe you read the post correctly. I said from the way Simon writes, I don't believe he has ever played sports. I'm not talking pro. I'm not talking Babe Ruth or Little League. He doesn't come off as someone who has played the game at any level. That's the point I was making and it wasn't a dig at him.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Drip, I didn't fight in the Civil War. That doesn't mean I don't know what happened. It is the same thing with the "you never played the game." You don't think years of observing sports, observing champions, observing what went right and what went wrong can make someone an expert on what happens on the fields, courts and rinks?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

LOL.

My grandmother still has a photo of me and faded newspaper article with me holding a 3-foot tall trophy as MVP of my city's Little League.

Wow.... thank GOD!!!!

I'm now qualified. Yay!

Thank you so much, Drip.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Answer for Hockey. My point about never playing the game was that I felt the answers given by Simon made him sound more like a fan than someone who may have played the game on some level.
    Answer for Simon: Never said you weren't qualified to give an opinion. I'm glad you got the opportunity to experience playing a sport. So many of your posts come off with a negative tone. Many times, I have imagined you as a little geeky guy sitting behind a computer with no life, no friends, who never participated in sports and in general, someone who gets off belittling others. I'm glad to see that I was wrong.
    Now, I am LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted