1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pujols is NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by joe, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Simon is Omar Minaya.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Pretty close. Some leagues have convoluted means of doing it, especially in South America.

I think Australia's A-League runs like MLS with franchises. The J-League in Japan may as well.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I HATE the Cards but think Pujols was by far the most deserving player.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Biggest. No-Brainer. Evar.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The right choice, methinks.

Howard has a case, but I don't think it stands up.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Howard was a legitmate option, though I have no big argument with Pujols getting it instead.

Lidge getting two first-place votes, however, is ridiculous. Maybe if there were no every-day players or starting pitchers who were strong candidates, but that wasn't the case this year.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yet 12 voters disagree with you. (I'm ignoring the two who voted Lidge first. They deserve to be ignored).

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

You can say Pujols is MVP in just about any year, and in a season when in my mind there was no true break away leader for the award -- you could make a good case for several players -- he was probably the best from start to finish in the NL all season.

Howard and Delgado had terrific pushes towards the end of the season to carry their teams and of course CC Sabathia was tremendous, but Pujols was there all year.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I swear, this is getting annoying. Not every single vote is a no-brainer, this one being a prime example. Yeah the right man won, but legit cases can be made for at least one or two other players.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

The amazing part is Phillies players received 14 first-place votes and none went to the MVP of their team: Chase Utley.

11. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I do like how four pitchers finished higher than the Cy Young winner, Lincecum.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Like others have said, this was a no-brainer.

Draft saved Draft deleted