1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puff Puff Vote ... for Herman Cain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Care Bear, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This has to be one of the weirdest campaign ads ever produced. What message is Herman Cain trying to send? And does he know his chief of staff looks like a Chicago cop?

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/10/herman_cain_ad_smoking_cigarette.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The latest CBS poll has him leading...

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I thought there were rules against showing people smoking in ads. At least the ones shown on TV. Am I mistaken?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is definitely the strangest primary season of my lifetime... Not like I have any real memories of anything before 1984, but this has been one strange fucking campaign, in part because whoever comes out of this has a pretty good shot at winning.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I think this was originally a viral video that is now getting play on TV.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It still reminds me of 2004, but the party is switched. There's a vulnerable incumbent, but the other party's candidates seem like the Island of Misfit Toys.

I believe Cain is the next Trump/Bachmann/Perry, doomed to plummet once the newness wears off. All it will take is a few more people figuring out what 9-9-9 would really do for them.

It's totally out of character for the GOP. It's typically the Democrats who cough up the list of weirdos for the primaries. The Republicans have traditionally been much better at lining up behind a clear candidate. Eventually I think it almost has to be Romney, but getting there has been a long, strange trip.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This ad absolutely has to be a gag. Saturday Night Live couldn't have concocted something as funny.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

What is the point of the smoking? Herman Cain just doesn't give a fuck? Or are they taking a shot at Obama? Or is everyone involved in that camp simply flying high on angel dust and catnip?

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It almost has to be sucking up to a certain demo. I'm guessing they're targeting a certain group of potential voters and determined that a high percentage are smokers.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think the purpose is to symbolize personal freedom and that Herman Cain won't be telling you how to live your life at every turn.

The ad reminded me a bit of the old Artie Johnson skit

[​IMG]

"Very interesting but stupid"

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He's got my vote!

Draft saved Draft deleted