1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Publishing a letter critical of the competition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The paper I write for recently ran a letter to the editor criticizing the competing's paper latest endeavor, a magazine devoted to homes, travel, cars, fashion and more.

The letter writer called it "the latest assault on trees." The charge could be leveled probably against any publication. To me, this magazine is a new advertising vehicle designed to increase revenue. Any business is entitled to do anything legal, ethical and not conflicting with contracts to try to increase revenue.

My gut feeling is that this will open Pandora's box and start a back-and-forth among the papers. I just feel this is unnecessary and could cause some problems.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yeah sounds like a bad idea

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I think most readers would like it.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm sure the competition loves it: free advertising for their new publication.

Most papers where I've ever worked, if they are in a competition situation, have had a policy: The competition does not exist. You do not mention them or acknowledge them in any way in your paper.

One of the first things I had to do at one joint when I arrived as SE, was to order our photogs to quit taking baseball pictures which invariably featured a billboard of our competitor right behind the pitcher in center field. When I arrived there, I looked over the back issues for the previous year, and I swear I saw 50 pictures with that billboard in it. :eek:

And Letters to the Editor count, too. You can decide to run, or not run, any LTTE any time you want, for any reason you see fit.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Running letters critical of the competition is bush league.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Not at all.

No one should be exempt from the magnifying glass of a paper.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends on what the criticism is, pube...
    If "they suck," why give them publicity...
    If they do something much more heinous, rip the hell out of them...

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If someone has a problem with something the competition is doing, they really ought to address that issue with the competition.
    As much as I appreciate complements, even backhanded ones, I'd be curious about why the letter-writer chose to use your letters to the editor section as a forum to complain about the competition.

9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

My gut feeling is that the person knew there was essentially no chance of having his letter published in the paper responsible for publishing the new product, but wanted to get his opinion out, so he wrote our paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted