1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Publishers try to upend current digital ad model

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Instead of cost per pageview, or cost per click, it's cost per amount of time the ad appears:

The idea is that if you can make time the premium, then you can charge more.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But wait -- the revenue model isn't working? Some people on the AP Twitter thread call bullshit.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It would be partially based on how much time the ad is posted for, and partly on how much time users spend on a page, right? The second part could be a little tricky.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Interesting article that's probably a bit too long (as I'm still reading) but this is an interesting nugget:

The Web (desktop and mobile) is about user impatience. Even if you give me a reason to click (on Facebook or Twitter or Vox or Trentonian.com or BuzzFeed or Rimjobs.lick etc etc), you have so little precious time to keep my attention on the content (let alone seeing the ads, which I'll never ever click) because time is of the essence when I'm trying to scroll the entire Internet
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But what I *will* do is share content I like. Maybe the emphasis should be on sharing content so that you can get those 5-second eyeballs.

Then again, #ONA14 spent a chunk of time trying to figure out the whole "viral" thing without much success.

Because at this point I gloss over the "MOST AMAZING THING YOU EVER SAW!" headlines having been duped into clicking only to be disappointed.
  6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I remember back in the dark ages of the 1990s, there was a toolbar that would pay you to let it flash ads while you surfed the net. The pay was atrociously low (may likely have even been a scam, a vehicle to get malware onto your machine) but when I was in full desperation mode (think one step away from homelessness) I considered it and even read the TOS. Apparently, the time didn't count if your screen was kept static, which implied you had left the keyboard and just left the toolbar up to drain the clock.
Draft saved Draft deleted