1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Publisher fibs on her resume

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LATimesman, Jun 27, 2007.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I find it magnificent that a publisher is disgraced. Particularly one who started in advertising.

2. Ouch. Bad, bad karma.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So aside from this, she says she has a "pretty good reputation in the industry."

Wow. Didn't know "pretty good" got you hired as a publisher.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Remember, she worked in advertising. "Pretty good" production in advertising at my paper would make you a god of productivity.

5. Widow

Widow New Member

From the Duluth News Tribune:
    http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/rss.cfm?id=45009
    Buscaglia declined to discuss the details of any inaccuracies in her resume, but she did say: “The problem goes back 30 years. You exaggerate a little bit when you are young so you can get a job, and then it just perpetuates itself.”

Does her explanation (excuse???) burn anyone else besides me?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It burns me up. I was worried that my credentials were pretty limited to apply for the job I have now but I still went with the truth. I applied in spite of my reservations about whether or not I was qualified to make a huge jump in responsibility.

Nearly 14 months later, I'm still at that job I applied for in spite of those concerns. I'm especially happy that my qualifications -- such as they were -- were enough to get me in the door.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I enjoy the OC Register blaming the recruiter for not digging up the falsehood. Isn't that kind of like a journalist blaming a PR person for an error in a story? Isn't publishing facts and verifying facts what a newspaper is supposed to to do?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Sure, but they pay recruiting companies to do this for them so they won't have to. A good friend is a recruiter and my father-in-law was one until he retired. Good recruiters earn six figures and the people who hire them expect quality service. I don't think Chris Anderson can be blamed for this.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand that, but doesn't the OCR have a human resources department. I've noticed a lot of institutions out-source recruitments for top of the line jobs, I just don't understand why.

Draft saved Draft deleted