1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Publisher arrested in Culpeper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Worthy of discussion in and of itself, I guess.

http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/news/local/article/star-exponent_publisher_sneed_arrested/53253/

Here's my question: I'm told this was not placed on the paper's front page, under orders from someone above the ME level. If that's NOT true, someone please let me know soonest.

Should it be front page, just because it is the publisher? Sounds like an ugly dispute between two people but has it risen to the A1 level yet?

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

It's on the front page of the version of the paper on newseum.

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=VA_CSE&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, so either the orders were reversed or I was told wrong. So there's that.
    Question remains: Does it belong out there just because it is the publisher? Or does the story itself rise to that position.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like a front-page story to me. Sounds like your typical he said-she said squabble.

5. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I agree with Ace. This particular incident doesn't seem to be a huge A1 type of story. Probably a little transparency overkill.

6. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Nice. Not too often I see the old hometown on here. Then to see it on here for this. SIGH!!

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Culpeper's a pretty small town, right? In most small towns, the newspaper publisher is a pretty significant public figure. I suspect most papers would put a similar story like this on the front if it involved, I dunno, the police chief or a member of the City Council or the owner of the local hardware store or the president of the local Chamber of Commerce*.

*Unless, of course, said paper was like most small papers and the publisher was buddy-buddy with said Chamber of Commerce.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I'm with deskslave here. In our 35K town, the newspaper publisher is a local somebody. We just ran domestic violence charges by a well-known militia rabblerouser above the fold, so I could see a publisher's stalking charges to be at least front page news.

9. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

All of it really doesn't matter because more than likely when they go to court, the judge is just going to tell him to leave her alone for a year with no contact and if he does so, the charges will be dismissed and not recorded on his record. It's just a relationship that is ending badly with a lot of hurt feelings and anger that probably got out of hand no doubt if he did do some of the things she is accusing. The court also will look favorably if he agrees to go to some counseling to correct some of these behavioral problems she alleges took place. And vice versa for her if the evidence comes out in his favor.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would place a publisher on about the same level as a school principal as far as news value.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd say that's a pretty decent comparison.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Interesting take, but the biggest small-town publishers are even more involved in local business, charities and issues than the principal would be. A publisher who uses his office "right" (not sure that's the word) is a major player in a smaller town.

Draft saved Draft deleted