1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Publications coordinator, UC Santa Barbara

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bpoindexter, May 23, 2009.

1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Hi everybody, I understand this isn't a sports gig, but these are tough times, many of us have been, are now or are about to be out of work, and there are some hungry, passionate journalists on board here who I imagine would be primo candidates. Besides, it's Santa Barbara. Hope this leads to something. - Thanks, BP ...

Company: University of California, Santa Barbara
    Position: Publications Coordinator
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: June 24, 2009
    Job ID: 1054960

Description:
    PUBLICATIONS COORDINATOR

The Daily Nexus

Oversees production process of print edition of The Daily Nexus and production, design and layout of Daily Nexus website (dailynexus.com). Assists in planning and expediting production schedules. Manages, tracks and distributes daily pagination and layout of print edition of Daily Nexus. Works with advertising department to manage and track daily run sheets and provide design assistance to advertisers as needed. Req: Three years experience working in newspaper and print and production and experience with web and online production. Note: May be required to be available after hours and on weekends to deal with emergency production and printing plant issues. Work hours are 11:00 am - 7:00 pm. $35,040 - $45,000/yr. Apply by 6/2/09. 805-893-3166 AA/EOE Apply online at https://Jobs.ucsb.edu. Reference job #20090096

2. topsheep

topsheep Member

Cush. Few places in the world like Santa Barbara.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Friend has been the SID there for decades now. He's had opportunities elsewhere but has stuck it out in Isla Vista.

4. topsheep

topsheep Member

I did the "State Street Crawl" once. Tried to, anyway. Got too drunk by the 4th or 5th place.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Um, didn't like half the town have to be evacuated because of wildfires a few weeks ago?

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It seems to almost burn down every other year. The other years it gets mudslides. All the more reasons for you not to apply.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Living there on that salary would be next to impossible.

8. Feel free to shoot me a message if anyone has any questions about this. Can't answer a ton about the gig itself, but basically lived at the Nexus for three years and know Santa Barbara/UCSB well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive the person who previously held this position was the ex-Executive Editor of the SB News-Press who was ousted by Wacky Wendy during one of her infamous escapades a few years back.

As for the State Street crawl, next time try the IV loop. You'll hate yourself in the morning.

9. toledojoe

toledojoe New Member

Can someone address the salary issue? I'm a little familiar with the area and the salary does scream "I need a second job" to me. I'm listening.

10. AVSE

AVSE Member

Salary doesn't matter much anymore. It's been filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted