1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Shaming of rioters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Vancouver shocked to learn that the rioters aren't black: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/gary_mason/the-sad-painful-truth-about-the-vancouver-rioters-true-identities/article2066321/

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I didn't see the word black used. Do you provide the wrong link? Nah, you're probably just being a race-baiting asshole.

the first comment in thta story paints a pretty good picture.
    I have news for everyone. You're going to see more and more examples of detached youth, that is, youth who have no sense of empathy, responsibility, or civic duty. Can I blame the parents? Yes, unfortunately yes. This generation is one raised on video games and reality shows, one given DS and DVD players in restaurants to shut them up because it's easier to deal with kids that way. One where both parents work and have their children raised by indifferent nannies who spend more time on the cell phone talking to their friends than talking to their charges. And when the parents are home, the kids are using computer games or watching television, or going to their "lessons." Sure, the parents are law abiding citizens, but do they actually raise and take care of their children? Who is teaching the kids morality?

I can't tell you how many times I have heard a parent say, I can't get my daughter or son to go to bed, to cooperate, etc. And these kids are only 4 years old. The parents don't get it. Who wears the pants in these families? The kids. The parents are too exhausted to be bothered to actually "parent."

3. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

This generation is hardly the first to throw on a massive riot.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't need everything spelled out to me.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's what makes the riot so unusual.[/bluefont?]

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Beyond stupid. Because none of us here over 40 played video games for hours in college to kill time between classes. And there wasn't one decent riot in North America in the early Eighties.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Those riots were usually a tad more civic-minded. The shitshow tended to have an end.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Once upon a time we rioted and demonstrated for relatively good reasons. Civil rights, anger over the the assassination of a leader, workers rights. Now we overturn cars and burn shit because hockey teams lose or because they ran out of $5 bottled water at Woodstock '99.

9. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Sports riots are nothing new, either.

10. I was one of the rioters burning vehicles. I was also recently arrested by the Syrian government for being a lesbian.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They were rioting whether they won or lost. You don't bring litre fluid, jerry cans of gas and weapons downtown to riot only if they lose

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

The talents of random Internet schlubs never ceases to amaze.

"The Ballad Of Brock Anton"

Draft saved Draft deleted