1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Service Announcement, The Wire, Season 3 on DVD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 24, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

will be released on August 8.

Can't wait since I haven't seen it although I know the single major event

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, it's on like Donkey Kong. The Wire has passed 24 to be my second-favorite show on TV behind Lost.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Before Season 4 kicks off, I am going to personally start a media campaign to get people on this site to watch the show. I'm telling you, it's better than the Sopranos, better than 24, better than Lost, better than Six Feet Under, better than The Sheild, and makes CSI look like it was written by a team of freshman creative writing majors.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For fans of "The Wire," I would highly recommend the novels of George Pelecanos, who is a producer/writer for the show. He may be the best crime writer working today.

(And I know longer have HBO, so I've only seen a few episodes of "The Wire" - and it's not the kind of show where you can drop in every 10th episode. At some point I'm going to get the whole damn thing on DVD and go through them in order.)

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hell, for fans of the show, pick up the original book by David Simon, "Homicide."

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Read "Homicide: A year on the killing streets" last year. Great book and really fun to find the jumping off points for storylines in the TV series.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Amen to all that. And the cool bass line at the end of the show is the cherry on the sundae.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Also, if The Wire is your thing, read "Clockers" by Richard Price. It's essentially where David Simon came up with the format of giving the cops and the drug dealers equal time and equal morality. Price also wrote a few episodes during season 3 and appeared as a prison librarian in season 2.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I don't have HBO either, but did when Season 1 was on. Loved it. Always meant to rent Season 2, but haven't yet. I'm just now renting Deadwood Season 2. When I get done with that, I'll start on The Wire2.

Saw an ad for Showtime's Weeds Season 1 DVD today. Wanna check that out too in July.

Draft saved Draft deleted