1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public relations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Phoenix, Mar 8, 2008.

1. True dat. I've tried in the past to get ahold of celebrities who were coming to my town. Only to be treated like something on the bottom of the flak's shoes.

As for pr flaks closer to my home, I always make it a point to thank and compliment the ones who go above and beyond for me. There are a couple.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A good thread topic (Hi, Birdscribe!) would be the best sports PR operations and operators. I would certainly have a shout out for the now-retired Ed Carpenter at BU.

3. accguy

accguy Member

One thing to consider, there's a significant difference between working as an SID or media relations for a team/league and working for a PR agency like Birdscribe and Gee's son.

They are completely different. The latter deals much more with strategy and deals almost as much in a marketing capacity as it does trying to get people to write about something.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Completely true... They're not all whores...

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Being a PR whore sounds good about now.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about being a flak for a team lately. Even if the pay isn't much more than I'm making now, at least I wouldn't have to worry about the bean counters.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's much better job security...

Draft saved Draft deleted