1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public relations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Phoenix, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Do newspaper people regard P.R. to be the last bastion for the journalistic misfit or sell-out?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No, and yes...

A PR guy who knows and understands what beat writers deal with on a daily basis because they've been a reporter before is worth their weight in gold...

Sadly, PR guys almost never fall into that category... A few do, but they're all retiring... The newer group are more of a roadblock between the media and the coaches and players rather than a link...

It's changed quite a bit in the last decade and not for the better...

3. I know one media relations guy who has virtually no understanding of the media. He tells the players he's on their side and encourages them not to speak to reporters. He also argues with us over what is and is not a story.
    Then again, his boss is great -- but maybe that's because he was a journalist once upon a time.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You just described 95 percent of the PR guys out there...

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

It is sad. We have a school in our conference with a basketball coach who does not allow the team's stats to be posted on the school Web site. How that is/has been allowed, I have no idea.

As a former sports journalist, I get very frustrated with fellow SIDs who truly don't understand how they are actually hurting the school and/or athletes with the way they do things.

6. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

There are definitely good PR folks out there, but sadly they really seem to be in the minority. I did have a good experience the other day -- my boss thrust a last-minute preview of an outdoors story on my desk. I called the PR guy and was told he was in a meeting and would be for the next two hours. So I dropped him an email and told him I was hoping to get some info and pictures from him and that I'd give him a call after lunch.

I get back from lunch and find he's sent me six nice pics. I call him and he asks for my number and says he'll have the show's director call me. Calls back a minute later to tell me he talked to her and shell call me at 2:15 if that works for me.

Wish like hell all PR folks could be like that.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And typically, those are the best PR folks -- because we were there and understand what news is.

My agency has no fewer than a half-dozen ex-pat sportswriters, including my VP and one of our boxing guys who used to write for the Her-Ex.

Our jobs are two-fold: to promote our client and to make it easier for you guys to do your jobs. I don't understand why the two have to be mutually exclusive.

9. hankschu

hankschu Member

PR folks for the MLB team I cover are terrific. They understand our job completely, and I feel comfortable even asking for their help on a story they know will place their team in a bad light.

Rather than fight us, they ask us to consider their point of view and spell it out. Then they trust me to write a balanced story. That makes me want to do exactly that, so in that sense, they are doing their team a service.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My son starts his job at the NYC office of Edelman, a humongous PR firm, on March 17. I hope his knowledge of the profession as expressed at the dinner table by me is helpful. Like most sports folks, I cherish a good PR operation and suffer, not silently, with a bad one.

11. bob

bob Member

My son is a "junior account executive" at a PR firm. I was horrified when he went into PR, but those guys will do anything possible to help us chase down something we need.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

If you think sports PR guys are bad, try dealing with entertainment PR people.

Draft saved Draft deleted