1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Internet shaming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's almost more shocking that she work it to work.

She's clearly an Internet exhibitionist.

I think that someone like her just doesn't understand the distinction between doing something among friends who "get" you and broadcasting stuff to the world. They live transparently, basically. Just wouldn't occur to them to do otherwise.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because if you don't, it means you're not hip and with the in-crowd, and therefore, you are a loser.

(I'm not on Twitter either).

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It seems like a lot of people kiss ass on twitter, hoping for a re-tweet from a famous person, that will lead to more followers. That, or they try to pick a "feud" for the same reason.

But, I think if you are consistent, tweet good info, and/or links, and present yourself as an authority on your field of study, you can build an online brand using twitter.

I've thought I need to do a better job at it, but haven't put in the effort.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about that specific incident.

Hasn't there ever been a "viral" something-or-other that had you shaking your head, muttering, "People are worked up about THIS? Really?"

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Better not go out in public, either. People with their cell phone cameras are everywhere. Who knows what you might do that could go viral.

6. MisterCreosote

You're right. The risks and benefits of being on Twitter are exactly the same as the risks and benefits of leaving my house.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I mean, are you looking for people to convince you that you'll love Twitter, MC? You seem to have made up your mind about it.

8. MisterCreosote

No. I know I'd hate it.

I was just curious if there was something I didn't see that made it the GREATEST THING EVER.

There isn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who says it's the GREATEST THING EVER?

It's useful. It's sometimes funny. It's often infuriating. Nothing you didn't already know.

You seem awfully proud of your hatred of Twitter; that's all.

10. MisterCreosote

I don't hate Twitter.

I do hate most people, though, and it seems Twitter (and Facebook, and SJ for some) brings out the worst in them.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You joke, but personally I'm way more worried about ending up on People of Walmart than I am getting piled onto on Twitter. Heck, maybe I'd just drag OOP into the argument on my side, and between the two of us I bet we could wear down the entire Internet.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, about 97 percent of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted