1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Internet shaming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Someone tell me again why, exactly, Twitter is so great and I should join it NOW?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because it's the best way I know of to have a customized news feed.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The best thing about Twitter is that it allows you to have a customized news feed.

The worst thing about Twitter is that it allows you to have a customized news feed.

I experimented with it for a while, but deactivated my account a few months ago. There were two main reasons.

First, I did not want to customize my news consumption to that extent. I'm back to reading a general newspaper in the morning, along with general news magazines. Customization comes largely via my interest in sports, which isn't difficult to pursue even without Twitter. I largely don't care about breaking sports news, to be honest. Most of what I need to know I get from box scores, transactions, and sortable stats.

Second, I found it overwhelming. I felt, in a way, less informed when I was on Twitter than I do now, off of it, slowing down my news to a (mostly) daily report. It's a waterfall of information, and I felt overwhelmed at times trying to keep up. Like I was failing as a citizen and a news consumer and a fan if I wasn't monitoring it. I have read that others feel the same way on Twitter. FOMO.

RickStain will, not to put words in his mouth, probably be able to tell me why either there are ways around these impulses on Twitter, by customizing your feed in the correct manner, or why customization is actually a preferable way to follow the news. If he doesn't, then SportsPredictor or JC or some other posters here who are good at calling people on their bullshit will do the same. But I am who I am. And I've elected to artificially short-circuit my worst impulses. That meant getting off of Twitter. For me, at least, it did more harm than good.

4. MisterCreosote

In no way is a "customized news feed" worth the risk of inadvertently exposing myself to the "wrath of the enraged Twittersphere."

Social media's faux outrage/activism is a pox on this society.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's great even if you never tweet. It's your own, personalized news feed.

6. YankeeFan

Apparently, between this, and the Oakland A's thread, I have no original thoughts this morning.

7. YankeeFan

I feel like this sometimes.

What I need to do is create lists, so if there's some information I want, I can get to it, and not have to scroll through hundreds/thousands of posts.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've found that I'm pretty good at not tweeting photos of myself dressed as a crime victim for Halloween. It's served me well.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I mean, I guess that's up to you. If you are that scared of the idea, then it's not for you.

A lot of people who say they don't want to be on Twitter seem to be under the impression that the only reason to be on Twitter is to put out a lot of messages yourself. I'm looking back at my profile, and I've posted two non-reply tweets in the last six months, but I use Twitter almost every day. The vast majority of Twitter use for ordinary people is following, not broadcasting.

10. MisterCreosote

Anticipating what goes "viral" and whips everyone into a frenzy is the very definition of an inexact science.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I tried to Tweet out a few times, mostly as an attempt to build my "brand" as a still-active writer/journalist. It was like Tweeting out into the ethos, though. Facebook definitely has the feedback loop thing down a lot better.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Again, how could it be such a surprise that her dressing in that costume and putting a photo of it online would attract a lot of unwanted attention?

Draft saved Draft deleted