1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Internet shaming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Nov 1, 2013.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I don't know. She showed up to her work dressed as a marathon bombing victim? That's some kind of fucked-up lack of judgment there. Even without provocation, I'd think her employer would be wondering long and hard about her maturity level and what else she does that could reflect poorly on them.

It doesn't mean the people who have been going out of their way to harass her and try to get her fired are not assholes. But she's light-years away from being an innocent victim.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie: I snickered a bit.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

She's far from a victim. Creating a Twitter handle of "someskankinMI" reinforces her poor judgment.

Doesn't mean the keyboard warriors of America are any less culpable.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Go on.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yeah, you know, this girl did something dumb, so let's rape her.

That'll show her that she can't use her First Amendment rights!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/what-happens-when-you-dress-as-a-boston-marathon-victim

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from consequences.

This is basic. How do you not grasp that?

This isn't a First Amendment issue. At all.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

How in the world do you figure that? So if I don't like a shirt you wear, I can threaten to blow up your house, or hurt you physically? Of course this is a First Amendment right issue. I don't care that she was fired, and reading the story, neither does she. But rape threats? Those are pretty over-the-top 'consequences', don't you think?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The reasons why you can't retaliate with threats to blow up her house or hurt her physically have nothing to do with the First Amendment.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. But to say this isn't a First Amendment issue is incorrect. It's not far from the Westboro Baptist Church, and the threats lodged against it for exercising its rights.

10. imjustagirl

And suddenly I'm having trouble remembering why I took you off ignore.

But here, I'll try this: The first words of the First Amendment are "Congress shall make no law ..." You show me where her wearing a stupid costume and being threatened (which I'm NOT OK with, full disclosure) has anything to do with a law that restricts her right to do just that.

I'll hang up and listen.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So we're going to argue over semantics now? That yes, she has a right to wear whatever she wants, but no rights against getting raped. OK, you win. Congratulations.

As I mentioned earlier, the punishment never fit the crime. America truly does have an ugly side that rears its head far too often.

12. imjustagirl

Holy shit. That's not what I said at all. Nor is that the argument you were making.

You said it's a First Amendment issue. I've shown why it's not. I'm offering to hear your point of view on how it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted