1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Internet shaming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Nov 1, 2013.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

A-freaking-men. And any parent that doesn't drill these lessons into their children is doing them a great disservice.

I come down somewhere in the middle (other than the death threats - that is horrifically bad - and I think contacting the employer is a pretty shitty thing to do), but for the sake of discussion, I'll take the other side.

If you don't want your beyond-good-taste actions to come back to haunt you, there's one way to guarantee that doesn't happen. Don't do it. I guess there's a second way, in not letting it be recorded and put on the Internet. But because this young lady decided she had to have the funniest, most edgy Halloween costume in the world and make sure all her friends knew about it and saw it, she's paying the price. That's on her.

Just like the Arlington National Cemetary woman (who was far from a kid) needed to have the most hilarious "hobby" in the world, of taking photos of herself disobeying signs wherever she went, and making sure the world saw them. When it came back to bite her, it's her fault and no one else's.

No, poor taste isn't illegal. But if you do something in poor taste, make sure everyone sees it and knows about it, then I think you lose the right to cry foul if/when your employer sees it and decides they don't want someone like that on their payroll. Actions have consequences.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, the inexact science behind something going "viral" should be a huge red flag to just STFU and keep most things to yourself.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Obviously this is true. But dis people warn you against the dumb shit you did when you were younger? And did you do it anyway? It just seems there are no longer teachable moments. Just people who want to make others suffer for things that really don't concern them.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Absolutely. But the huge difference is those people who want to make others suffer were none the wiser about it because it wasn't broadcast to the world.

The people who DID know the shit I did shamed me plenty, believe me.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

But they also knew you firsthand, knew if this was in line with your personality, or just a really bad decision. The Internet makes it possible for people who have no idea who you are to have great control of your life. That's obviously the scary part.

And another point: Although I'm not one to judge people who are unemployed or under-educated, but I can't help but shake my head at those types of people who comment about this particular person when they really should only be concerned with bettering their own situation. Learn how to string at least two sentences together without a grammatical error, or the use of words like "U" "Ur" and "Shud."

If people would only concern themselves with their own day-to-day issues, this country would run a lot more smoothly.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Getting someone fired is the best way to get back at someone who did something you didn't like because you can accomplish it without repercussions. You can't kick the shit out of someone or kill them for doing something that offended you. You could get caught, go to jail, gasp, or lose your job!

So, how else can you hurt people you don't like? Get 'em fired. Doesn't matter if whatever the offending party did to offend didn't personally affect you. Get 'em fired. Because it doesn't end there. Once someone gets fired, they'll never work again! Bwahahahahaha! That'll teach 'em.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

As I've posited before, it's just *fun* to be a dick to people, and the internet provides us with a never-ending stream of people for whom we can feel justified in being a dick to.

It's like finding a loophole around all that brain-washing they did to you when you were a toddler in the name of socially acceptable behavior.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's "fun" to be a dick to people when there are no repercussions to your behavior.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Except sometimes, there are.

Don't want to be "shamed" for being an asshole? Don't be an asshole.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's easy for some keyboard warrior to say, "Yeah, he's a douche, and here's his address."

Same keyboard warrior is hiding behind an anonymous handle, of course.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Putting nude pictures of herself all over the Internet didn't help deter the fat, pimply, social retards from tracking her down.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Punishment does not fit the crime.

https://twitter.com/SomeSKANKinMI

Draft saved Draft deleted