1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Housing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As someone who could hit the former towers of Cabrini Green with a rock, I thought this tale of two projects extremely poignant:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Do you live near Truck 10?

3. YankeeFan

I've told you this!

They and Engine 4 block my trip across Division at least once a week.

I'm at Dayton & Blackhawk -- one block east of Halstead, two blocks south of North.

You, and your dad, wouldn't recognize the neighborhood now.

There's nice residential units right across the street from the firehouse.

The Cabrini Green towers are all gone.

Since I've lived here, the British School of Chicago opened across the street from my building:

[​IMG]

The third largest Whole Foods in the world opened a block west of me on Kingsbury (across from VIP's):

[​IMG]

A brand new Apple Store replaced a gas station at North & Clybourn:

[​IMG]

And, a residential hi-rise went up across Blackhawk from me. One tower is complete, and they're building a second one.

[​IMG]

And, they all market themselves as being in Lincoln Park, which is technically on the other side of North Ave.

I guess Whole Foods, Cabrini Green doesn't have the same cachet as Whole Foods, Lincoln Park.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When I was in my early 20s, I always thought it was so strange to hit the Division Street bars, then drive past Cabrini Green on the way back to the interstate. Just a stone's throw from Mother's, Mother's Too, The Lodge, etc., etc. I'd go from hitting on women left and right to having a crack bag shook at me within a matter of seconds, practically. Similar to the South Side around both the Comiskey Park neighborhood and also if you travel west out of Hyde Park. Big cites are strange places sometimes.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Halsted. (cq)

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Once upon a time I lived at Division and Dearborn, behind the Jungle Jewel. I doubt they still call it that. Great neighborhood if you didn't look west to the apartment fires billowing out of the Cabrini zone.

Now PS Chicago is a bank, I think, and the Snuggery is long gone. Thank god there were no cameras on cellphones back then. Actually, there were no cellphones at all. Bleacher tickets, $5!! Stop, this is freaking me out!!

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Now I remember.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

My brother's a travel agent in Chicago and has lived there about 30 years, teaching at one time on the North Shore.
    He always talked about Cabrini Green, and would sometimes wind up comparatively referencing those projects when I'd ask him to gauge New Trier basketball prospects for a specific season.
    I bet some good talent indeed came out of there through the years.

9. YankeeFan

You'd think I'd know how to spell the main street a block from my house! Meanwhile I double checked the spelling of Clybourn.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If I had a T-shirt that said Whole Foods - Cabrini Green, I'd wear it at least twice a week.

11. YankeeFan

That's hysterical.

There's an REI in the same development as the British School, but it too is REI, Lincoln Park.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the Centennial Square development in Atlanta with upscale shops, conference center, swanky condos, etc. To look at it, you'd never suspect it was the former site of Techwood Homes.

Draft saved Draft deleted