1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public apologies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

After Clinton Portis stuck his foot in his mouth last week, and then issued perhaps the most forced public apology I've ever seen, it got me thinking: are these athletes really sorry? I'm afraid I didn't feel the love, nor the remorse from Portis. It's evident that the NFL is a money-making business, as are the teams in the NFL. So keeping everyone happy is priority No. 1.

But if these "released statements," which are obviously the work of some PR hack and released with Portis' name at the bottom, are going to be so contrived, why bother? Is the American public that stupid to think that Portis is really sorry? Or if he is, shouldn't he at least face a camera and say as much?

I have a hard time believing that Portis pulled a complete 180 after his comments, going so far as to "release a statement." It's just such bullshit, but it's the way of the walk.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Jimmy Swaggart set the bar so high when it came to apologies, how can anyone top it?

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I have always wanted to see someone read straight from a piece of paper as monotone as possible:
    "I have been told that I'm sorry. It says here I didn't mean to offend anyone...."

Draft saved Draft deleted