1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pub Discussion: NFL Writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How did Steve Hummer win a best beat reporter award? He is a features writer, to my knowledge.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are several names on those lists who are definitely not beat writers.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

When I saw the list of guys like Hummer and Pat Forde, I was just thinking national beat instead of a team beat.
    Maybe that's it?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Pat Forde has a beat: college football. Doesn't Steve Hummer write the big Sunday features on all sorts of topics? I am not sure Scott M. Reid has a conventional beat, either.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't Forde a columnist?

6. That was my thought as well. I guess his position is something of a hybrid because not everything he writes is opinion and he still breaks news. But I'd definitely lean more toward national columnist than national beat writer.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He is a beat columnist. Your favorite example any time beat reporting is mentioned is Rick Gosselin, right? He also is a beat columnist. So is Adrian Wojnarowski. They are doing a ton of beat reporting but often using that reporting as the basis for columns. It's a better, more efficient model to getting readers what they really want.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The thing about Shefter is his number of actual scoops declined about 95 percent when he went from NFL Network to ESPN.

Funny how that happens.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Forde is a national college columnist.

Draft saved Draft deleted