1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"PTI" bashes WWL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

OK, so maybe not quite literally, but they have taken shots at ESPN two straight days now. Which is odd, because I really never saw that on "PTI" -- which I watch almost daily -- before, save for Wilbon's Yanks-Sawx rants.

On Tuesday, they talked about some incident where a fan interfered in an AFL game, had some Rod Tidwell moment where he soaked in the applause, then was allowed to stay for the duration of the game. Was this some shameless ESPN conspiracy to boost ratings? Wilbon sure thought so.

Today, Wilbon again bashed the WWL, this time mocking the seemingly 24/7 NFL Draft coverage. "THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS ARE ON THE CLOCK!" "THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS ARE ON THE CLOCK!"

It's probably nothing, really, but it's kind of funny to see them hammer away every now and then.

EDIT -- Changed thread title to eliminate any hyperbole.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: "PTI" revolts against WWL

The WWL would be crazy to jettison their cash cows (Mr. Tony and Wilbon). No way in hell, but it was funny to watch that!

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Re: "PTI" revolts against WWL

If that's a revolt, it's the worst revolt ever.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I don't think this is going to lead to a "vacation" for Mr. Tony

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

PTI is without question the best thing on that network, and that includes OTL (which i haven't seen in months so i'm not sure it's on). i often listen to the PTI podcast the next day while in my car. it's terrific stuff. it seems like tony and mike are together about 95 percent of the time now. in the past i feel like i can remember weeks going by where the two would only do one or two shows a week. it's basically intolerable with anyone else (for me, at least).

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann - on Dan's radio show - frequently question the WWL's decision-making on certain issues. It's one reason I like Dan as much as I do.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I noticed the same thing the last two days, and it's been refreshing to see.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's the thing: Even though they ripped the AFL and draft coverage, they still talked about them.

Which means they're as bad as the rest.

9. Boobie Miles

Any publicity is good publicity I guess, but I don't think it's AS bad as Mel Kiper and Darren Woodson sitting on some oversized leather couch in Trey Wingo's basement for 10 minutes everyday on SportsCenter. Tony even prefaced the AFL topic with the disclaimer that some people will think they're pimping it because it's on ESPN, and then Wilbon went on to slam the stunt and the insignificance of the AFL for the next minute.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Right, but if ESPN didn't own the AFL, they never would have talked about it, period.

They're shilling by not shilling, dig? You notice, they don't say shit about hockey. ESPN doesn't broadcast hockey.

11. Boobie Miles

Ehh, I see what you're saying but in this case I don't think it applies. Did you see it? Wilbon just absolutely ripped the stunt as a complete sham. I understand that most ESPN shows, SC in particular, are completely influenced by what sports/leagues the network broadcasts, but I don't even think your hockey example works. When there's some huge fight or other story along those lines, they talk about it on PTI. Now if they continue to talk about the AFL I'll change my stance, but I don't think this one instance was them shilling the product. They went to commercial with Wilbon laughing off the whole topic, its irrelevance, and the irrelevance of the league.

12. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

That hour of radio it's one of the best of the day. Blows the other 23 hours out of the water. Smart, engaging discussion on a variety of sports topics.

Draft saved Draft deleted