1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PT intern copy editors, Bleacher Report, Inc.

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by bpoindexter, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any paper that uses Bleacher Report content deserves to go out of business. It's obvious the professional journalists aren't valued at those papers.

2. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

Did this a couple years back. It's really nothing more than a resume filler, and I'd imagine most newspapers would prefer a blank page than one that included B/R.

3. writingump

writingump Member

From what I've heard, there's a LOT of editing in this gig as the writing often falls short of being professional.

4. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

I actually just finished this internship, and I found it very helpful. It really did improve my grammar and editing skills and also gave me a new found respect for copy editors. That being said, it was a lot of work for something where you don't get paid, and with my classes, jobs and organizational obligations, not to mention social life (I'm in college after all haha) it was hard to juggle at 15 hours a week.

A lot of the content on the site was also questionable, often times for a 800 word story, it would take 20-30 minutes to edit, because every other sentence needed a change. But the feedback you receive is excellent, and if you either need to get better at grammar or want a resume filler for online journalism it really isn't a bad gig. Although I do think they should pay -- even just a little bit -- because it was a huge time commitment for what they wanted out of your work.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm not buying it

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't someone from the SF Chronicle have that argument here?
    I'm not the most tech-savvy chap but readers must = hits, correct? Is bleacherreport claiming to have 25 million different people reading it each month?

Draft saved Draft deleted